6.5 Creedmoor for elk

My dad is getting Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. I am looking forward to working up some loads for him when we go on our first elk hunt.

Congrats on the elk.

Just dropped another cow elk this week with the 135 grain classic hunters out of 6.5-06. 1 shot, 300 yards. We killed a couple deer, 2 elk, and a Oryx with that bullet. I'm liking the bullet a lot, I think that would be a good choice of bullet for the Creed

Been using the Barnes 120 X for elk in my 6.5x08 wildcat since back in 1994. Went to the TSX when they came out. Powder of choice has been Win 760/ H-414 for 3000 fps.. . Using the same receipt in my Savage 260 Rem. We take elk every year. Never lost an elk. Never felt this combo wasn't up to the task.

Just dropped another cow elk this week with the 135 grain classic hunters out of 6.5-06. 1 shot, 300 yards. We killed a couple deer, 2 elk, and a Oryx with that bullet. I'm liking the bullet a lot, I think that would be a good choice of bullet for the Creed

My hunting buddy and I have both used that bullet in our 6.5x55 rifles to each down mule deer last year, and a cow elk this year.

Love hearing this. They shot great in our Creedmoor with the Berger factory ammo. And just found this load for my 19" barreled 6.5x47. Using Varget, 5 shots with 135 Berger.

Been using the Barnes 120 X for elk in my 6.5x08 wildcat since back in 1994. Went to the TSX when they came out. Powder of choice has been Win 760/ H-414 for 3000 fps.. . Using the same receipt in my Savage 260 Rem. We take elk every year. Never lost an elk. Never felt this combo wasn't up to the task.

Hey Hesp- have you guys tried the 120 TTSX yet? I wonder if there is any improvement ( relatively speaking of course :))

Hey Hesp- have you guys tried the 120 TTSX yet? I wonder if there is any improvement ( relatively speaking of course :))
Buddy went better than a dozen one shot kills on elk with 140 Bergers then couldn't help himself and threw some 120 TTSX in and 3/4 of a mile later they pump a couple more in her to kill her, typical small hole through the lungs, only elk they've not watched die in a few steps.

If I'm using a smaller caliber rifle, for big game, I have always used monos or bonded, i.e Trophy Bonded Bear claws. I also try to shoot them in the high shoulder or high lungs. I think I would use the 6.5 Creedmoor the same way on elk, "muscle memory or anal retentive", who knows? I also can't keep myself from "holding up" when the shot looks long ( again, I am not a LRH, so no dials for me) I see where some folks use the 139 Scenar in the Creed for elk? Any experiences with it, anyone? I would feel better using a bullet such as this one for high lung shot, preferably, but high shoulder wouldn't scare me...I'm just wondering? :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.