6.5 Creedmoor for Cow Elk

Buzzsaw

Cant afford a bull hunt but an elk hunt has always been on my bucket list. I found an outfitter in Utah, I think I would have a great chance at taking a fat cow. Hell, I could shoot one here in Texas, just not the same to me.

I will be shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor, longest shot I would take would be 300 yards. I reload and thinking the Berger 140 VLD Hunting or one of the Hammers.

Thoughts from the experts??

Dang, even on a Cow hunt, there is air fare, processing and shipping meat home, stuff adds up. way to far to drive, especially in December when this hunt would take place.

Thanks for your opinions

Last month a good friend took his wife on her first elk hunt, she shot her cow at about 100 yards back behind the leg and it angled into the off shoulder and it dropped her, that cow didn't make it 15 yards. 6.5 CM / 142 Nosler LR accubond. He said the bullet preformed perfectly.They ended up with 223 pounds of meat, that is a big cow.

Last edited:
My wife killed her first cow with my old savage 6.5 creedmoor with a 140 vld hunting bullet at 330 yards and I killed one at 150 yards. Neither went far

I have seen cow elk DRT with a 243 win 5 times and one with a 22-250. I wouldn't suggest a 22-250 but I seen it done. You'll do great with a 6.5 Creed and would be fine on a bull with good shot placement, a good bullet and under 400 yards. Good luck and have fun.

Cow you will be fine, if it would be a bull hunt nothing less than 300 RUM...the bull elk of today have grown armor plate. It's funny to watch the local elk hunters from the western states...many of the ones we run across are carrying non magnum calibers.

Cow you will be fine, if it would be a bull hunt nothing less than 300 RUM...the bull elk of today have grown armor plate. It's funny to watch the local elk hunters from the western states...many of the ones we run across are carrying non magnum calibers.

Funny, I took a large bull last year with a 3006 spr. and 150 gr. Barnes TTSX he didnt go 30 yards. The bullet hit him in the breast plate center punched the heart and exited through the opposite side of the plate and left a 1 inch hole in the breast plate. Bull down!

Lots of cows under the belt of my 6.5 pushing the 140 ELDM. Ranges from 320-605. Place bullet behind the shoulder on a broadside cow to ensure a two lung hit, watch elk either lock up or walk approximately 10-15 yards, start to think of good recipes to utilize the meat on. At least that is the way it is gone for me every time I have done the above.

Several years ago a co-worker and I were prepping to go to a Colorado elk hunt. He had a Browning X bolt in 308 that he shot very well. It shot Hornady Superformance 165gr like a house of fire. He kept saying that he wanted something more powerful so I suggested a 300 win mag like I was shooting. He ended up buying a Winchester M70 in 30-06 and had a pretty difficult time finding ammo it liked. It shot the 180gr Winchester Supreme decent but not as good as his 308. He never got the opportunity to use it, but I have no doubt his 308 would have made any shot that his 30-06 would have made, he wouldn't have needed to buy another weapon and he was more accurate.

Lots of cows under the belt of my 6.5 pushing the 140 ELDM. Ranges from 320-605. Place bullet behind the shoulder on a broadside cow to ensure a two lung hit, watch elk either lock up or walk approximately 10-15 yards, start to think of good recipes to utilize the meat on. At least that is the way it is gone for me every time I have done the above.

Just curious..whats your muzzle velocity?

1UX5KGil.jpg

Cow elk? December? Should be a terrific hunt! I shot this cow elk at 338 yards in Dec 2016, with my 30-06 and a 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Right through the on-side shoulder blade, destroyed the lungs. She stumbled/fell about 20 yards. Very quick kill and EXCELLENT table fare! The backstraps were particularly good. A buddy of mine also smoked an elk roast for us... Oh my goodness... :)

Best of luck, and looking forward to your photos & story. I was fortunate to draw the cow tag for a place about 12 miles from my home. Managed to get the WHOLE cow carcass down off that mountain, into a pickup bed and into the garage for butchering. I'd never managed that before. I'll credit strong friends, a handy ATV with a tow rope and a big ol borrowed pickup truck..

Regards, Guy