6.5 Creedmoor for Cow Elk

they usually charge for hanging weight not the processed weight , so you are looking at the full weight of the animal (minus field dressing loss) for your "cost"

SHOT PLACEMENT IS KEY! I feel if you lay it just behind the shoulder as advised above the 6.5's are fine for cow elk.

However I helped clean an Cow another guy in camp shot with a 6.5CM at 100yards facing him. Bullet was a 140gr winchester (something?). He shot her in the chest, looking straight at him. She ran off. They said there was no blood trail and he decided he missed. Next morning his son stepped on her dead a few hundred yards from where he shot her. I skinned his halves back at main camp and had a difficult time finding the entrance hole. Of course there was not exit. Damage was minimal, the 140gr killed her but was just not enough gun for a shot angle like that on an animal that size.

just pick your shot carefully
James

Cow you will be fine, if it would be a bull hunt nothing less than 300 RUM...the bull elk of today have grown armor plate.

It's funny to watch the local elk hunters from the western states...many of the ones we run across are carrying non magnum calibers.

Just curious why you think it is funny to watch local elk hunters from western states carrying non magnum calibers???? Most of them have probably shot one or more elk every year since they were teenagers, often on their property or adjcent forest land.

They typically know their conditions, probably can almost predict where they are going to shoot from and to, prior to heading out in the early morning hours.

When you have killed large cows or steers with a hammer or a 22 pistol prior to butchering, you realize that you don't need a 338 lapua to kill an elk. Not that it is bad to use one, if you can shoot one well and are familiar with it.

But an accurate and well shot .25-06/.260/6.5 Creedmoor/.270 or .280 or equivalent is certainly sufficient particularly if you shoot well; even for bull elk. Most can get within 350 yards or less and most have been shooting game, predators and varmits since they were kids. We grew up hunting gophers and magpies for a nickle or dime a pair of legs or a tail when we were young. I know I have killed a few elk with a 6 mm remington. And maybe a .220 swift although would probably not admit to that. Shot placement and knowing your conditions and equipment make for efficient elk kills.

To the OP, as many have stated, you will be fine with your 6.5 creedmoor and 140 VLD. If you don't know, Elk is probably the best tasting and finest eating of north american big game. Have fun and hope you go home with a big elk cow.

I probably should have said its funny to watch us easterners with Ultra magnums...kind of came out backwards I guess. They guy whos ranch land we were hunting on in Wyoming killed his cow that year with a 6mm Remington. That was his truck gun.

A buddy thumped a bull at just over 400 with a 140gr 6.5creedmore and it never exited. He doesn't think he will ever take that long shot on an elk again that caliber rifle

A buddy thumped a bull at just over 400 with a 140gr 6.5creedmore and it never exited. He doesn't think he will ever take that long shot on an elk again that caliber rifle
Is that because the bullet didn't exit? Did he loose the elk? Just curious what bullet was he using?

I have found bullet choice plays more a part in this than anything. I shot a cow elk at 80 yards with a 270 140 grain core loct when I was 21 or so and it didn't get any further than the lungs. Using the proper bullet is key. He may have used a good bullet and just got a bad result, either way choose the right bullet for what you are shooting.

I have found bullet choice plays more a part in this than anything. I shot a cow elk at 80 yards with a 270 140 grain core loct when I was 21 or so and it didn't get any further than the lungs. Using the proper bullet is key. He may have used a good bullet and just got a bad result, either way choose the right bullet for what you are shooting.

That has been my experience too. I have never been too overly concerned with no exit, usually means the energy was left in the animal with the types of bullets I have been using (bergers, ELDX and ELDMetc.).

To answer the OP's question - the 6.5 creedmoor is plenty of gun to kill elk way past 300 yards. And I really like the bergers and the eldx for elk. Can't go wrong with the accubond or ABLR either. I don't have any experience with the Hammers.

All this talk about cow elk hunting has made me hungry. Such delicious steaks!

I'm about to make breakfast, but it'll just be eggs. Maybe there's still an elk steak buried in the freezer somewhere...

Am honing my old archery skills. Didn't get out for elk this year, but I can hunt cow elk every year with a bow. With my rifle, I have to draw a tag, and dang, it took me seven years I think, to finally draw that cow elk tag I used in 2016. It was a great hunt, but... I think I'd rather get out there and get after 'em with my bow than wait another 5-7 years for another cow elk tag.

Oh, and yes, I still think your 6.5 is plenty of rifle for the task. Shoot well. Eat better! :)

Off to breakfast now!

Guy

Last edited:
We sell a lot of .264 cal bullets, and I am sure it is due to the popularity of the 6.5 Creed. I think people just need to realize that there is no magic in the caliber or the cartridge. The 6.5 Creed is what it is, a small caliber, small cartridge chambering. It is a bit of a step up from a .243 win and a bit of a step down from a 7-08. Keep your impact vel up and select a bullet that can penetrate deep with proper deformation. In these small chamberings it is a much more critical bullet choice. On elk you need to be selective about shot placement. Shot placement should be looked at like you would if archery hunting. No hard quartering shots and try to avoid the shoulder.