cow elk

lif2fsh

Ok we all have a pretty good idea on what to look for when we hunt bull elk but what about a cow elk... big,little, pretty or shoot the ugly one?

Down hill from the truck a calf will do nice :D Seriously, usually the slick perty looking cows are young and lack in poundage and are good breeding stock, I look for the cow that looks rougher, head looks big and rough, body usually seems boxier than the younger cows and I try to watch long enough to pick out a dry cow. These are the older cows and you can at close to 50lbs more meat over a young cow and they are soooooo good eating but drag like a battle ship anchor!!

My favorite part about cow hunts is that you don't have to hold out for a bigger rack you can just shoot the first one you want to :) I usually try and find them a little closer to the road then the bulls so I don't have to haul them out quite as far. A calf or a dry cow (depending on how much meat you want or where you find the elk) will be your best bet. Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.