Cow elk- close

Hespco

Cow elk taken at about 35 yds> for sure not long range. Savage model 16 260 Rem, with Badlands Precision 125gr mono at 3039 fps. . Heavily forested . Bullet entered a few inches behind left shoulder . Angled across catching back edge of heart, & came to rest just under the hide after complete penetration of the right shoulder. Bullet remaining weight is 105grs.
Elk 003.JPG
Elk 002.JPG
Elk 005.JPG

Last edited:
Cow elk taken at about 35 yds> for sure not long range. Savage model 16 260 Rem, with Badlands Precision 125gr mono at 3039 fps. . Heavily forested . Bullet entered a fwewinches behind left shoulder . Angled across catching back edge of heart, & came to rest just under the hide after complete penetration of the right shoulder. Bullet remaining weight is 105grs.
View attachment 411814View attachment 411815View attachment 411816
Wow those mono bullets even blow out all the insides. :oops:, great venison in the freezer right there.

If you don't gut , you don't get the " Fillet Mignon". Inside, up against the back bone. The supreme cut. Worth every effort to me.
Are you referring to the tenderloins?

You can get them out gutless. You cut were it attaches at the back inside the hip, then follow it with your fingers and it detaches pretty easily. You can cut between the ribs 4 or 5 in to get the forward part free. I usually push up between the ribs at the front end of it to figure out where to make the cut.

I'm surprised that there wasn't more bullet expansion considering the rather high impact velocity. Either way, the bullet got the job done.
There was considerable bullet expansion, but a lot of the thin nose section broke off on bone. These bullets have a long , thin hollow nose ( high BC ) which allows them to open on smaller game, but a tough shank to hold together for deeper penetration on heavier game. No penciling thru on lighter game. Took my deer with no problem with the same load this season. Picture inclosed of deer.

Attachments

• Whitetail 2022 002.JPG
    Whitetail 2022 002.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Congrats on the kill! Looks like the little cartridge did an outstandinb job!

My wife got one of those long range shots on a cow about 15 years ago. A group of elk came right up behind her. She took the lead cow straight on into the center chest, bullet exited the rear. Luckily the wasn't an elk directly behind…..or she may have filled my tag also! 😁 memtb

Great job. I assume he dropped at the shot? I would be nervous to use that light of a bullet. I like an exit, but you don't need it when they fall down in front of you. It is always a great feeling to harvest an elk. Lots of meat. I'm all for the gutless method. I bone out the elk as I go, and put the meat in clear (unscented) plastic bags. I hide the bags in the shade, away from the canyon bottom, so it will still be there when I come back. Most predators travel in the bottoms. Makes no sense to carry heavy bone at my age. Even by myself, I can throw a leg over my shoulder and cut the meat off the bone. When I'm done with one side I roll it over and do the other side. Last thing is the tenderloains and liver. I cut the belly to release the pressure, then cut behing the last rib. With the pressure off, it is easy to reach in for the tenderloin. kidney, and liver. I don't eat heart anymore. With a rutting bull, I dont cut the belly skin which is covered in pee and dirt, I cut down the back, and start skinning there. With a cow, I start at the belly because when you roll the elk the hide is there to keep it a little cleaner.

Are you referring to the tenderloins?

You can get them out gutless. You cut were it attaches at the back inside the hip, then follow it with your fingers and it detaches pretty easily. You can cut between the ribs 4 or 5 in to get the forward part free. I usually push up between the ribs at the front end of it to figure out where to make the cut.
Same here.