7mm08 for cow elk?

My wife shot her cow elk this last season with her 7mm-08 with 140gr berger VLD. Was one shot through shoulder and dropped her in her tracks.

My wife shot her cow elk this last season with her 7mm-08 with 140gr berger VLD. Was one shot through shoulder and dropped her in her tracks.
How far of shots did you keep her to? In this unit some shots might be as far as 500 is the little 7mm enough at that kind of range or should we stick to 300 and less

Depends on your velocity, at 2700fps you'll be right at about 1200ft/lbs @ 500. Shoot behind the shoulder and everything should work out fine.

I kept her limited to 200 yards not because of the caliber, but solely because she doesn't have enough experience shooting past 300 yards for me to trust she can put the bullet where she needs to. This summer she will be practicing more at distance and will limit her to around 600 yards if she is consistent.

Our 131g Hammer Hunter at close to 3100fps. You will be able to use it at home too. This combo works very well in my daughter's rifle.

Steve

I kept her limited to 200 yards not because of the caliber, but solely because she doesn't have enough experience shooting past 300 yards for me to trust she can put the bullet where she needs to. This summer she will be practicing more at distance and will limit her to around 600 yards if she is consistent.
Ok she has shot quite a bit at 5-600 yards only at rocks and 1 coyote at 543 yards so I'm glad that if we do our part that awesome little 7mm will do it's part

150 ELDXS loaded at about 2850 worked great for my son last year. 1 antelope buck and a small 6point bull. Both shot about 200 yards and both pass throughs with large exit wounds and short blood trails.

I think that 150 ELDX from a 7mm-08 would be a great combo. As for the 500 yard part, I would think you're probably good out to 500 but it might be a little far if you don't get your muzzle velocities up above 2700 or so.

Cross

Worked good for us!!!! 8F78D3D2-1BC5-4D34-B98A-F362364051AD.jpeg

Attachments

• 78417090-6A45-4000-A7B7-9E3C6612AC0E.jpeg
    78417090-6A45-4000-A7B7-9E3C6612AC0E.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 251
A good buddy of mine harvested a nice bull a little over 400 yards with a 7mm-08 shooting the ELD-X. Again use your own discretion with your gun/load, but I would think 500 and less would be quite adequate for a cow.

Thanks everyone! All the advice has been awesome! Looks like its going to be a busy season! Between my wife and I we ended up with 4 California deer tags, 2 Colorado deer tags 1 2nd season and 1 3rd season, a 3rd season cow tag, a California bear tag and finish up the year with a January archery hunt in Arizona! Hope everyone has an awesome year!

The cartridge itself only gets the bullet moving. In this case I would ask if you'd shoot an elk with a rifle chambered in 7mm Rem Mag? I don't know anyone that would say no. The 7mm-08 will shoot the same bullets just not as fast, so just don't shoot them as far.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.