6.5 creed vs. 26 nosler recoil question

bgbuck153

I'm needing to rebarrel my blown out 26 nosler. I am considering doing this caliber again and loading it light for my 13 year old daughter to start using and practicing mid range for when I take her for elk/mule deer next year. It'll have a break on it. My thoughts are load a light load for practicing shooting prone and whitetail hunting then once we go out west I'll spice it up a little to shoot the 160 matrix bullets. But I'm torn because I'm considering a buying 6.5 Creedmoor in a tikka or browning hells canyon for her as well.

Here's the question ....

Would a 6.5 Creedmoor loaded with 143 grain ELD-X shooting 2850 ish with 48 grains of powder recoil less or equal to a 26 nosler with the same bullet and 80 grains of powder traveling at about the same velocity?

I really hope it won't take 32gr more powder to achieve the same velocity with the same bullet...

All things considered, the same grain bullet at the same speed should recoil the same. That whole equal and opposite reaction thingy...

I have never understood how more powder equals more recoil. If the bullet is the same weight traveling at the same velocity the recoil should be the same. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention in physics class.

I have shot a ton of 6.5CM, 2000+ rounds of 6.5SLR, tons of .260 Rem. All with 140 and up bullets, from 2800 to 2950. With 6# to 16# rifles.

I have also shot a bunch of 6.5SS, 6.5SAUM,
264WM, and 26 Nosler. With 140-150 bullets from 3000-3300+. With 8# to 13# rifles.

To be honest, there was not a lot of difference in felt recoil in similar weight rifles. Some, yes. A lot, no. The bigger difference is in rifle weight. A 13# .264WM pushing a 140 @ 3250 recoils about the same as a 6# CM pushing a 140 @ 2800. But an 8# 26 Nosler pushing a 140 @ 3320 kicks noticeably more than a 15.5# 6.5 SLR pushing a 140 @ 2820fps.

Add a brake to your 26 Nosler, and load a 130 @ 2900-3000, and you should be fine. Heck, my daughter shot my .25-06AI and 6.5SLR for practice a lot. Then used my 10# .300RUM pushing a 175 SMK @ 3400 on her 1st elk hunt.

I have never understood how more powder equals more recoil. If the bullet is the same weight traveling at the same velocity the recoil should be the same. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention in physics class.

The powder weighs something and goes from stop to around 6,000* feet per second in about two feet. When it leaves the barrel it is actually making the rifle a rocket for the brief split second. That's why brakes work. They don't do anything about the bullet caused recoil. For that you need a very good recoil pad.

I've measured this from a magnum. The military used about 4,700 feet per second for the .30-06.

If the change is going down the barrel I can see how it would increase recoil, I always assumed it stayed for the most part in the case.

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone have a slow running say 129 LRAB data for the 26 nosler? I have a bunch of these bullets and would like to use them.

I really hope it won't take 32gr more powder to achieve the same velocity with the same bullet...

All things considered, the same grain bullet at the same speed should recoil the same. That whole equal and opposite reaction thingy...

The reason a 26 nosler takes more powder to move the same bullet at the same speed is because it has a larger chamber to fill with pressure to get the bullet up to speed. Think about it this way - throw a firecracker into a pop bottle and put the lid on, when it goes off it is likely to shoot the lid off at a pretty high velocity. Now, put the same firecracker in a large air tight container like a tupperware container, and fit it with threads and the same bottle cap. It will not have the same affect, as there is much more space to fill, it would take more fuel to have the same bottle cap affect. Same goes for a 26 nosler vs 6.5 creed.

The reason why the same bullet, going the same speed, recoils more when using 80 grains of powder vs 40 grains of powder, is muzzle blast. The bullet itself causes some recoil, but the bullet is not the only thing generating recoil. When the bullet exits the barrel, there is still unburned/burning powder coming out the muzzle at very high speed, thus creating rearward thrust, similar to a rocket as Rich Coyle stated. The more fuel burning, the more thrust created, therfore 80 grains creates more thrust (felt recoil) than 40.

Muzzle brakes create a surface for this "thrust" to blow against, therefore turning some of the rearward thrust into forward thrust, and in doing so reducing felt recoil. That's why brakes work.

Powder is ejected out of the end of the barrel too, even if it is in a gas form it still has weight. Along with a jet effect.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.