Recoil question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C Knappenberger, Jan 4, 2005.

1. C Knappenberger

C Knappenberger Member

I have looked around but haven't yet found anything about this subject, so I appologize if the question is already out there. How is the recoil of the .300 RUM compared to a .338 Win Mag? I sounds like both calibers are good a long range, but which one has less felt recoil? And do the Sims Vibration Labratory Recoil Pads work like they are advertised? (50% less recoil)

Thanks for any advice,
    Knappy

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Go here and do some calculations.

http://www.huntamerica.com/recoil_calculator/

Do some playing around and see what comes out.

Experience says my 338 Win w/225gr bullets @2850 in 8 lb rifle w/decelerator recoil pad and tee shirt hurts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Same rifle at 10 lbs is fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7mm RUM w/140 gr @ 3540 is nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Figure 300 RUM w/180 would be about the same as 300 WBY w/180 @ 3200 which was fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ALso recommend you hang around there as long as possible. But if you go, I'm behind you all the way. Did my thing years ago. Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. sure shot

sure shot Well-Known Member

A 200gr slug out of a 300 RUM going 3200fps in a 9lb rifle will hit you with 41lb of recoil.

A 225gr slug out of a 338 Win mag doing 2800fps in a 9lb rifle will hit you with about 31lb of recoil.

It's a bit sharper out of the RUM but not to bad.