Recoil

JimFromTN

So I have lived my entire life not knowing there are 2 types of recoil, dynamic and static. I am completely ignorant. Can someone explain the difference? Is dynamic recoil have to do with semi-auto vs static having to do with solid platforms like bolt actions? I feel stupid asking but I have no idea and google really isn't giving me anything. The reason I ask is that I was looking at an agm thermal clip on and there is a warning

"The day scope front adapters are not recommended for installing the Rattler TC on firearms with heavy dynamic recoil (.308 Win or stronger). "

It doesn't mention any maximum recoil, just don't use that adapter if its dynamic recoil of 308 or greater. There is an option of mounting it to a rail in front of the scope but I was intending on using it on a bolt action which does not have a front rail.

I dunno either. JBM is pretty much on top of most calculators and their recoil calculator does not differentiate. Looking to see myself.
C9D4B8BA-5868-416F-83F1-D103A44AB1AE.png

Here's what Chuck Hawks says...
While recoil energy determines how hard the blow to the shoulder feels, recoil velocity determines how abrupt the blow to the shoulder feels. My subjective impression is that, with a well designed stock, recoil velocity above about 10 fps begins to feel like a sharp rap on the shoulder rather than an abrupt push.

In 1909, the British Textbook of Small Arms stated that 15 ft. lbs. of free recoil energy was the maximum allowable for a military service rifle. (The standard British .303 Lee-Enfield infantry rifle was below that figure, as are most service rifles to this day. This should tell you something.) The 1929 edition of the same textbook stated, in addition, that recoil velocity should not exceed 15 fps; above that velocity a gun-headache was very likely to occur. These figures remain practical maximums for the modern hunter.

Above this level recoil becomes increasingly intrusive. In addition, the effects of recoil are cumulative. The longer you shoot, and the harder the rifle kicks, the more likely you are to flinch. These are good things to remember when comparing rifle cartridges.

I emailed AGM yesterday telling them I had intended on putting it on a bolt action and mentioned the possible calibers I was shooting. I was hoping they would get back to me on monday. To my surprise, the director of sales responded yesterday afternoon. This is the response that I got back from AGM

Thanks for your email, and interest in AGM. As to your question you are correct, heavy dynamic recoil is going to refer to repeated fire or mag dumps. You should be good to use w/ attached on .308 /270 or the 35 whelen.

I did not ask but I am wondering if repeated rapid recoil can rattle the unit off of the scope.

I emailed AGM yesterday telling them I had intended on putting it on a bolt action and mentioned the possible calibers I was shooting. I was hoping they would get back to me on monday. To my surprise, the director of sales responded yesterday afternoon. This is the response that I got back from AGM

Thanks for your email, and interest in AGM. As to your question you are correct, heavy dynamic recoil is going to refer to repeated fire or mag dumps. You should be good to use w/ attached on .308 /270 or the 35 whelen.

I did not ask but I am wondering if repeated rapid recoil can rattle the unit off of the scope.
"My" take is that they are recommending to use on a platform with less than a .308 Win's recoil, but their response is NOT clear, and you might need to ask them for clarification. I am curious if they say it is for an AR-15 type platform in 5.56/.223 but not in AR-10 type platform in .308 Win, due to higher level of recoil.

"My" take is that they are recommending to use on a platform with less than a .308 Win's recoil, but their response is NOT clear, and you might need to ask them for clarification. I am curious if they say it is for an AR-15 type platform in 5.56/.223 but not in AR-10 type platform in .308 Win, due to higher level of recoil.
Thats what it sounded like to me. Ar15 platforms are fine. I took it to mean that their concern is with the recoil from rapid firing the a10 platform or any other semi auto platform with calibers 308 or larger. My only concern was whether or not there were limitations on the recoil of bolt action rifles which he said I was fine with the calibers I maybe using so my question was answered. Some of the thermal scopes I have seen have a maximum recommended recoil of a 308win so I wanted to make sure I was ok. Bering Optics mentions maximum recoil and AGM thermals almost look like they come from the same factory in China as the Bering Optics thermals.