Recoil????? 30/06 vs 45/70

hillbilly

I have a 12 inch 45/70 with no break. The recoil is noticeable,to say the least. I have been considering
a 30/06 in a similar length. How would these compare
in recoil? Any opinion welcome and appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Are you having problems with unburned powder? I had a 14" 45/70 barrel and with IMR 3031 there were granules of unburned powder in the barrel after each shot. No telling how much was blowing out the barrel. I worked briefly with IMR 4227 with better velocity, but trashed my Leupold dual dovetail mount in the process and later sold the barrel.
I think you would get similar if not better velocity in a 12" barrel with the .454 Casull with less powder and greater efficiency, or even more fun the .500 S&W for even better numbers yet.
I have not shot the 30-06 in a pistol, but I suspect that you would not beat the 308 by much with alot more recoil. I would also go with the 15" barrel with a brake.

Sambo3006,

I do not have any problem with powder burn. I wish I could ID the powder, but I have only used factory rounds, so far. I do reload just not 45/70, although I will SOON. I was surprised myself at the lack of muzzle flash. It is there, just is not grand. I plan to buy a chronograph as well. I would like to compare the 454 and 45/70 for myself.

Thankyou for your time and thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.