Recoil question

I have looked around but haven't yet found anything about this subject, so I appologize if the question is already out there. How is the recoil of the .300 RUM compared to a .338 Win Mag? I sounds like both calibers are good a long range, but which one has less felt recoil? And do the Sims Vibration Labratory Recoil Pads work like they are advertised? (50% less recoil)

Thanks for any advice,
Knappy

Go here and do some calculations.

http://www.huntamerica.com/recoil_calculator/

Do some playing around and see what comes out.

Experience says my 338 Win w/225gr bullets @2850 in 8 lb rifle w/decelerator recoil pad and tee shirt hurts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Same rifle at 10 lbs is fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7mm RUM w/140 gr @ 3540 is nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Figure 300 RUM w/180 would be about the same as 300 WBY w/180 @ 3200 which was fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ALso recommend you hang around there as long as possible. But if you go, I'm behind you all the way. Did my thing years ago. Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A 200gr slug out of a 300 RUM going 3200fps in a 9lb rifle will hit you with 41lb of recoil.

A 225gr slug out of a 338 Win mag doing 2800fps in a 9lb rifle will hit you with about 31lb of recoil.

It's a bit sharper out of the RUM but not to bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.