6.5 bullet suggestion

I have quite a bit of experience with "reduced" loads with 6.5 Bullets. As a former Math teacher, I have also done the calculations to find out what kind of recoil my loads are creating. The 85 gr Sierra HP will actually give you the most recoil reduction by far. You can drive them at 2800 fps and the recoil will be very low. If you drive them over 3000 fps they will still have less recoil than 100gr and heavier bullets. I have tried several powders and Accurate 5744 is the most consistent powder for reduced loads. Use any brand of magnum primers. Twenty to thirty-three grains of powder. You are not filling the case, so whether it is a 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5-06, 6.5 PRC or .264 Win Mag doesn't matter. Seating depth doesn't matter either. With a 85 gr bullet you will never reach the lands. I like to set clay pigeons (or just the centers from broken ones) on the berm at 200 and 300 yards and watch young shooters figure it out. The 85gr bullets fragment impressively as any good varmint bullet will. Have fun.

The 140 Sierra Gameking has perfomed excellent in 3 6.5x55 rifles of mine. A 700, CZ550, & a Lilja barreled Tikka action. All three give 1/2" aggregate 5 shot groupings at 200yds. Powder and charge weight vary slightly between the three, though; 700/Vhit N-160, CZ/RL-19, & TIKKA/Ramshot Magnum.

so I'm going to reload some range/practice ammo for my daughters 6.5cm rifle

I'm looking for an "easy to find accuracy" bullet for practice at the range on paper and for steel

what bullet has given you good accuracy and was easy/quick to find the load for? the more time we can spend practicing at the range the better so I hope to not have to spend lots of time finding an accurate load.

I know each rifle is different but usually there seems to be a pattern with these things

I would prefer a "less expensive" bullet as these will be for practice for her and we don't need "premium" at this time-- a "dual purpose" target/hunting bullet would be nice but not necessary as I will most likely load up some HH bullets for her hunting loads

as far as powder, I have RL16 and varget, but I know H4350 is very popular too and available at my LGS

what have been your "easy to load" bullets for this cartridge?
41.5 gr H4350 with either 140 eld m or 143 gr Hornady eld...... extremely accurate loads

I have had excellent results with 130gr Accubonds and RL17 in my 6.5CM's. Under a half inch in both my RAP and custom Tikka with Benchmark barrel. I'm getting about 3100fps out of them and they've knocked down anything I've pointed them at.

130gr Accubonds and RL17 powder

Attachments

• 20151022_151727.jpg
    20151022_151727.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 111

I'm looking for an "easy to find accuracy" bullet for practice at the range on paper and for steel

what bullet has given you good accuracy and was easy/quick to find the load for? the more time we can spend practicing at the range the better so I hope to not have to spend lots of time finding an accurate load.

I know each rifle is different but usually there seems to be a pattern with these things

I would prefer a "less expensive" bullet as these will be for practice for her and we don't need "premium" at this time-- a "dual purpose" target/hunting bullet would be nice but not necessary as I will most likely load up some HH bullets for her hunting loads

as far as powder, I have RL16 and varget, but I know H4350 is very popular too and available at my LGS

Get the Hornady black...cheap factory ammo and very accurate loads.

I have had good results out of my Creedmoor with 8 twist barrel using the 123 ELD-M. bullets. They're not the cheapest, but the cost difference between them and lower priced bullets is not great at the end of a day at the range -- maybe $5. I grumble to myself when I see a box of bullets marked at $34 in the LGS, but then I think about how much I have in the rifle and this seems like a small part of the total.

Busters 140 Matchkings look great, I have a 26 nosler that was a challenge. Plain Jane 140 Nosler Balistic tips did the trick and often one can buy seconds cheap.

MIDWAY USA
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetL...S&userItemsPerPage=48&persistedItemsPerPage=0

I just recently purchased a 6.5 CM. I had the same issue. I needed something that was easy to find and I choose the 143 eldx. I used h4831sc started at 39.8 and laddered up Its a shooter. I cut 1.5" off the stock. And put a brake on. So fun to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.