6.5-284 question for Ian

ltr308

Hi i recently read an articale in gun list by Ian on long range hunting where it stated they had taken a mule deer at 650yds with a 6.5-284 it just so happens that i just had one built rem 700 27'' pac-nor with a 1-8 twist i got into a new hunting lease this year and have a few places to do some lrh what bullet / powder combination would you recommend i currently have some 120 nbt ,130 accubond,s and 140a-max also thought about trying some berger 130 or 140 vld,s so far i have shot it 13 times loaded anywhere from 48-51 gr of H4350 with the 120 nbt during barrel break in with no pressure issues also what would be a maxium effective range with this round thanks justin,

Justin,
I have had excellent kills with the 140 AMAX from Hornady in my 6.5-284. I load it with H4831SC, H4350 or Ramshot Magnum. Seems 4350 shot very well with a near max load in the rifle I hunted with. Some kills were made with factory loaded 142 Sierra Matchkings in Black Hills match ammo also.

Good luck with your new rifle. My rifles are very accurate and shoot about as flat as a .300 Win mag without all the noise and recoil. I try not to let the barrel get real hot, that is a consideration when you are burning that much powder in a small hole. Pretty easy to get drop info off the net I think. If you have a problem finding drop info I can give you some downrange stuff from my notes or from my Nightforce program.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.