6.5/284 or 300 wsm

I think if you're going to build a sheep rifle and be as light as possible, then go with a short action. The 6.5 Creedmoor is only 100-150fps behind the 6.5-284, but works perfect in a short action. The 6.5x47 and .260 work well too, but the Creedmoor has more support and options for brass and is a smaller package than the .260 Rem. Even a short action with a mag bolt face would be great, then you could run the 6.5 PRC or 6.5 SAUM. An extended mag box would really benefit the short mags and then you'd have 100-150fps advantage over the 6.5-284.

If I was building a rifle from the ground up and was not limited to a standard bolt face and wanted a long action, then I would consider again the 6.5 PRC or SAUM or the old .264 Win Mag. Even with a short 22-24" barrel you'll be as fast or faster than a 26" 6.5x284.

The .284 Win or .280 Ackley ,as mentioned above, are great choices too for a mid sized long action cartridge. The 7SAUM or 7WSM are both contenders as well, and would even work on a short action with an extended mag box or with the 150gr class of bullets. You have a lot of options. I think the .300 WSM, though an excellent cartridge, is not needed for sheep and would not be worth the recoil in a light weight rifle.

If this was my first sheep hunt, I would certainly do my homework with regard to choosing the right cartridge and bullet for the ranges usually called for when hunting sheep. The powders tested would be reasonably temperature insensitive for the time of year chosen for this hunt. But I've used both types of powders with great success when I developed the loads during the temps noted for the time of year with no problems whatsoever. If you're shooting in cold weather, develop your load in cold weather then go hunt.

I pay no attention to all the conversation about the 'big' differences between using a short action and a long action for certain cartridges. If the long action is the only solution to your dilemma, then TIKKA has it right as all of their available cartridges are built on long actions. However, when testing most cartridges for seating depth and load velocities, seating most bullets, including VLDs, at magazine length (2.925" usually or SAAMI) in short actions, makes very little pragmatic difference. Folks assume(?) that because you have more powder space, seating the bullet out in a long action yields more velocity, when in truth there are few distinguishable difference on the game when an appropriate powder is selected. As with all data and the interpretation of it, there will be differing opinions.;)

I have used and will continue to use, the 6.5 GAP 4S (6.5 SAUM) in a short Titanium action combined with a 130 grain VLD bullet over a max load of Re-25, IMR-7828 or MRP2. In cold weather (30 and below) and altitudes from 7,000 to 9,000 ft. I have never suffered a failure with these loads when they were developed for cold weather. Of course I use a magnum primer just to be sure.:D This combination yields 3200+ fps. and will maintain 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at 950 yards, which is well beyond what I shoot for.

Titanium action, carbon fiber barrel, carbon fiber stock (ultralight configuration), a great scope and trigger should get you where you want to be, safe and comfortable with longer shots. Be sure to concentrate on the very first cold bore shot from the rifle. Develop your consistency from this shot. Practice.

All of the above is not to say that you can't build a fine rifle for the 6.5x284 or even a favorite of mine, the .264 Win Mag or the 6.5 WSM which is a terrific hunting cartridge. You can and you will find good positive results from any of these for your hunt.

Enjoy the experience!

A 140gr 6.5 leaving the barrel at 2850fps or more can take any N. American game with confidence out to 800 yards or more with perhaps the exception of the big bears, bull moose etc.

At 800 yards your 6.5 with a140gr bullet going 2850 FPS at the muzzle has around 970 foot pounds of energy left. A 300 wsm with a 215gr bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2850 has 1700 foot pounds of energy. I think the numbers speak for themselves. A 22 rimfire will kill a deer at 100 yards but it's not ideal.

I'll agree with you that hunting big game it starts with a .30 cal, but for anything smaller than 500 lbs the 6.5's will get the job done with less meat damage.

Nice thing about the 300WSM it is still very efficient with a 24" barrel. You can shoot the big 215 Berger at over 2900 fps and they'll carry enough speed/energy to reach out 900-1000 yards in the mountains. Only problem I see is that it will kick like a mule in a sub 9lb hunting package.

Put a good jp muzzle break on the gun and it will kick like a 223.

Still going to have a much stouter recoil due to the bullet weight compared to an equally outfitted 6.5 of any type.
A good brake should bring it down to 30-06 levels, that should be manageable. If i was going to be climbing up and down mountains I'd make sure i had enough gun. Not saying the 6.5 wouldn't get the job done but for my own piece of mind I'd opt for the heavier bullet.

At 800 yards your 6.5 with a140gr bullet going 2850 FPS at the muzzle has around 970 foot pounds of energy left. A 300 wsm with a 215gr bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2850 has 1700 foot pounds of energy. I think the numbers speak for themselves. A 22 rimfire will kill a deer at 100 yards but it's not ideal.

By that same logic then, my 8 lb. 338 Norma Mag will cruise right past that at nearly 2,100 ft/lbs at the 800 yard mark with 250 grain Berger.

Now we enter the discussion of diminishing returns as to just how far we push this envelop to make a point. Any of the cartridges suggested will make a fine sheep rifle with the recoil being subjective as to the shooter's ability to handle the rifle/cartridge/bullet combination. Muzzle brakes can be a blessing for some who enjoy less recoil but then a suppressor will work also but add more weight and barrel length.

The combinations between cartridges, bullets and rifle weight are nearly endless with a fairly large sampling which will be excellent choices for a sheep rifle. No one combination should be considered the absolute 'best' as it will vary by the shooter.

The broader the discussion, the better the information the hunter has to choose from. Enjoy the process!

A good brake should bring it down to 30-06 levels, that should be manageable. If i was going to be climbing up and down mountains I'd make sure i had enough gun. Not saying the 6.5 wouldn't get the job done but for my own piece of mind I'd opt for the heavier bullet.
To me it's all about being able to see my hits and eliminating any possibility of a flinch. With a 6lbs rifle shooting 180-200gr bullets the physics are just not in your favor even with a good brake.

I agree that muzzle brakes are affective, but they aren't 100% affective. Yeah my .308 Norma shooting a 208 ELD at 3050fps kicks like my brothers 6.5 Creedmoor, but it weighs 12-13lbs. A rifle half that weight shooting similar bullet weights and velocities will kick more like a .30-06 with a stout load. That's all well and fine for certain applications, but not if you intend to shoot long range and spot your impacts. Throw a brake on a 6.5 SAUM with 140s at 3050 in a 6lb rig and now you have the recoil of a 10lb 6.5 Creedmoor, you can spot your hits, and do it with more horsepower.

want to build a light
Sheep style rifle. Titanium
action , carbon rapped barrel
Manners or Mc Millian stock
Opinion 's on the calibers
300 wsm Or. 6.5 -284
tough one there blaserman, I'm having a 6.5x284 built now and would love to have a 300wsm. the big horn action has switchable boltheads and takes proof pre-fits. You could have a switch barrel rig with one premium stock, trigger, scope. I would do a long action so you can set bullets out in both cartriges.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.