6.5-300 wsm

ishootkittens

Been a while gentlemen! I probably don't know half of you! My name's Cody for all the people who I haven't met! Appreciate all the help in advance.

Ive built a few rifles over the years, some I've kept, some I've sold, but I love em all! I have been in LE for quite a while now and my dept is starting to become a bit more relaxed on what we can carry. Been doing some training with our marksmanship unit and I've decided to build a budget rifle I can use on duty.

Here's what I'd like to do...
Most guys carry .308's shooting factory match ammo in the 150gr loads. The dept has used the 150's for as long as I can remember. The rifle needs to be light (SA) and a repeater. It also needs to be manuverable because we can't always shoot prone/from large cover. I'd like to have a flat shooting rifle as PBR does actually matter just like hunting. (When my range finder isn't available or malfunctioning, I'd like to know I can be off a few yards on my range estimation and still be relatively close (inside 3-400 yards).

So a SA flat shooting round that spits 140-150gr pills in a small package. Why not do a 6.5-300wsm. I'd like to think I can get 3100 fps with most 140-147gr bullets and in that weight range, what bullet has a better BC. IF I can manage that in a 22" barrell, I'll have it made. I've had a 270 wsm and a 300 wsm in the past so I have the brass ready to go. But my problem is choosing a ride/action to go with.

My dept isn't paying for the build (of course) and I don't need a 3000$ rifle to be thrown around in training/harsh situations...and I'm aware that a 6.5 creedmoor will do what I need it to do, sometimes I just like to be different and as a reloader, i don't see it as a bad thing.

So I'm looking to do a semi-custom build. I have been looking at the usual suspects (Savage, tikka, Remington) and I like the fact that Tikka's are LA (sorta) and the bolt throw can be shortened. I feel like a long seated 6.5 bullet in a light T3 action sounds good .But honestly, I've never owned a Tikka or Savage. All my builds were custom or from a rem700. Should I stick to the rem?

Basically I'm looking for any advantages a Tikka or Savage could give me over a rem in this situation (wsm based cartridge) because they are a bit cheaper than the Remington's. If anyone has any experience with either, I'd appreciate ANY feedback.

Thanks fellas
C-

Between Savage and Tikka? Savage all the way. I might be one of the few, but will NEVER own another Tikka. Advice on caliber? Stay away from cartridges that brass is either furnished by a single manufacturer or can't be obtained readily...ask us who own SAUMs.

We have built on both tikka and savage actions and both have worked well for our intended uses. Currently have a 6.5 PRC on a tikka action that has been flawless. The PRC fits perfectly in the stock long action magazine and you can order aftermarket magazines for the WSM (suppose Sherman shorts would also work in the WSM magazine but haven't tried them personally) cases since less case taper vs the PRC. We have a 338 Edge on a savage action and it is a great shooter. I would not recommend building a long action cartridge on a tikka action but it is a nice short action option where longer seating depths are desired. Smooth bolt operation and nice factory trigger also make the tikka a valued choice.

Great guys! Thanks alot. Few questions tho? Why go SS over WSM when the case capacity is VERY similar and 5 different manufacturers offer WSM brass (nosler, norma, winchester, federal, hornady) and I could use 270,300,325 wsm brass. So at least 10 different options for brass with no fireforming needed. A 40 degree shoulder is never a good idea in a repeater (in my experience). But it seems like a cool cartridge.

I've heard a few complaints about Tikka's but it's usually the stock or plastic parts. I just have no experience with the receiver itself and I wonder if it's as light as the rem/Savage and I've heard the recoil lug on Tikka's are a joke. There doesn't seem to be many aftermarket trigger options either. Just don't know which action to start with. Any Howa guys?

Great guys! Thanks alot. Few questions tho? Why go SS over WSM when the case capacity is VERY similar and 5 different manufacturers offer WSM brass (nosler, norma, winchester, federal, hornady) and I could use 270,300,325 wsm brass. So at least 10 different options for brass with no fireforming needed. A 40 degree shoulder is never a good idea in a repeater (in my experience). But it seems like a cool cartridge.

I've heard a few complaints about Tikka's but it's usually the stock or plastic parts. I just have no experience with the receiver itself and I wonder if it's as light as the rem/Savage and I've heard the recoil lug on Tikka's are a joke. There doesn't seem to be many aftermarket trigger options either. Just don't know which action to start with. Any Howa guys?
I think you answered all of your own questions. Stay with what is readily available and where there many options and aftermarket parts.

To take advantage of the 6.5x300wsm you need a med. Style action (3"+) with the class of bullets you wanna run. .180 freebore at least. I use 300wsm Redding FL type S bushing die with the guts changed out to 6.5 and neck down 270wsm win. brass that I turn the necks on.

To take advantage of the 6.5x300wsm you need a med. Style action (3"+) with the class of bullets you wanna run. .180 freebore at least. I use 300wsm Redding FL type S bushing die with the guts changed out to 6.5 and neck down 270wsm win. brass that I turn the necks on.

I know there are a lot of mags out there that have an internal OAL of around 2.98 but is there any receivers that are not true long actions that I could use. I guess I'm not familiar with "med" size actions. I know it sounds insignificant but I've built HEAVY rifles over the years and I'm trying to make this one as light as possible and as rigid as possible. I mean if I were goinf to go with a long action there are tons of other options I could go with. I'd like a shorter bolt throw, lighter receiver, smaller/lighter mag, stiffer bolt, blah blah all the benefits of a short action. Thanks again guys. Always good to talk to the guys who know what they r talking about which is why I come here!

I'm building a 6.5 wsm as we speak. It's a Savage Model 10BA action ( small shank short action) I modified the mag to handle 3.050". I have on order a 26" PacNor SS #6 8Twist 5 groove super match barrel. HS precision stock. And trued machined recoil lug and barrel nut.

I sent PacNor a dummy round to throat the chamber .225" freebore .
20180902_202553.jpg

Mine was built on a Ruger tang safety 7 mag that had the feed lips, ramp and follower worked on to get it to feed from the mag. It will only take 2 in the bottom if I try to put the 3rd on in the bottom it binds

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.