6.5-284 or 257 Weatherby...update

huntem

For those who may be interested or who may care. I chose Weatherby over the 6.5-284. I did a little more research and I agree that for the most part the two calibers are apple and oranges.

The choice for the Weatherby over the 6.5 was not because of B.C or types of bullets available, velocity or trajectory. As mentioned in the original post, I am a hunter first and if I flew across this great nation for a hunt and arrived to find out that the airline lost the bag with my ammo...I'd be screwed with the 6.5-284. Granted Weatherby ammo isn't as readily available as your non-magnum but as least it is available for resale.

Here is the goodies:
SS #4 Shilen barrel 26"
Jewell trigger
Rem 700 action
6.5x20 LR Leupold w/ Talley rings
.257 Weatherby
Baked Teflon coating barrel/action/base-rings

you could do what i do, i ship my bullets to the outfitter three weeks in advance as well as carry my own.

I would choose the rifle that would bst suit my needs.

My friend has a 257 weatherby, and we have yet to find any ammo where we hunt out west. He is always looking for extra ammo.

huntem,
I have 2 .257's and both are really great shooters. They are factory rifles. 1 a Japanese manufactured Lazermark, the other a newer lightweight. They both shoot the 115 ballistic tip very well. They like differant powders though. They both have been tweaked to perform at the level I expected. I've been trying to get to a 6.5/284 but just can't there yet as I say I have that range covered.
The thought of short action does keep bringing me back though. I too mainly hunt with my rifles. I don't shoot competetion. Although many of my friends do and they rave on the performance of the 6.5. One hunts with his bench rig, just sets up high and gets them 400-800 range. He shoots mainly in the 600 yard shoots(go figure).
I need to try those 130's from Richard Graves that Kirby Allen talks about.
You will like that .257 Weatherby, I'm sure. Good luck with it!

Many of my friends have rifles built by Steve Malyuk and they shoot better than the shooter pulling the trigger. That is a good idea about shipping the ammo. I am the type of hunter than would ship a box and add some to my checked luggage. Thanks for the suggestions

I just read somewhere that in some countries your ammo head stamp must match what is printed on the side of the barrel. The writer was refused entry an an Ackly Improved setup because his ammo appeared to be for a rifle other than his.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.