6.5 284 Opinions??

Clucknmoan

Not very happy in the slightest bit that I have to even go into this, but I guess it is what it is at this point.

I had a 6.5 284 built by a smith who lives quite a ways away, not easy to just take it back to them. I sent pretty much all components needed, including bullets and brass for test loads.

When I went to pick it up, they said that they couldn't get it to shoot the 140's, but didn't try that hard as they were just trying to make sure it was mechanically sound. It did shoot 123's fairly well.

I get it home and start trying to work of a load for 140's myself, and I can see why it would not shoot them. With 140 Bergers, I am just touching the lands at 3.010. This seemed very short to me, just judging by the amount of bullet in the case. After double checkin on here, it seems I was on the right track. It's like it's right in-between the win and norma versions.

Looking for second opinions here, should I send it back, or have a local smith lengthen the throat? My concerns are that (1) it will never shoot anything 130 or 140 class anything with this short of a throat and (2) if it does, I will never get full case capacity out of it.

The only documentation I have on the throat, is what stamped on the barrel, which says 2642 throat. That's it.

This literally makes me sick to my stomach. Any input would be appreciated.

It sucks when stuff doesn't come back the way you expected. It also sucks when your using gunsmiths that require a road trip.

A couple of questions come to mind. What twist is your barrel? Short or long action?

I'd get it clear in my mind what I want, how I got to this point, then talk to the guy who put it together.

All may not be lost, just not a smooth transition.

Good luck,

Just have the chamber throated for the longer bullets. This is something that should have been discussed with the guy who built the rifle, prior to starting the project.

Thanks for the replies.

Shortgrass and Harper..built on a 700 long action, 8 twist benchmark barrel. I did not supply the barrel, smith ordered from benchmark.

Eddie..The 140 subject was discussed 100 times before and about 100 times during the build. I should have mentioned that in my original post. If I hadn't made this so clear to the smith, I would have no grounds to be disappointed really.

Well, that certainly sheds new light on the subject. I would do as I originally advised and have the chambered throated to let the longer bullets seat out more.

The twist is ok but the throat is definitely short. It should be somewhere around 2.711 instead of 2.642.

A SAMME reamer or just a throater should fix the problem.

J E CUSTOM

The twist is ok but the throat is definitely short. It should be somewhere around 2.711 instead of 2.642.

A SAMME reamer or just a throater should fix the problem.

J E CUSTOM

JE..thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I need solid info like this to let him or someone else know what I need from here. I'm no smith, but I don't think I should have had to tell him what exact throat, I would assume what bullet would have been enough. Especially 140's in a 6.5, extremely common.

JE..thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I need solid info like this to let him or someone else know what I need from here. I'm no smith, but I don't think I should have had to tell him what exact throat, I would assume what bullet would have been enough. Especially 140's in a 6.5, extremely common.

What length action is it built on ?

If it is short, he may have tried to keep the COAL length short enough to fit the mag.

J E CUSTOM

It's built on a long action, purposely for VLD style bullets. It's like I bought a Yugo engine and stuffed it in a Ferrari.

It should /could have been throated longer.

Talk to the smith and find out what he had in mind or if he just had that reamer only and used it
not knowing that you wanted to shoot heaver bullets and needed at least a SAMME chamber.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

So I decided to take it to a fairly local smith to get his opinion to make a decision on what I was going to do. I am really disappointed now, more like pist.

Stamped on the underside of the barrel, hidden from plane view is 6.5 284 WIN. No idea how this happened. I told him I wanted a Norma, and I had a mutual friend, good friend, confirm to him that it was to be a Norma, not a Win. Again, I talked with him many, many times about shooting 140's, and I can't imagine how he could think I wanted to shoot 140's out of a Win, especially in a long action. He was aware of the intended purpose and definitely aware of the equipment, the Norma is the clear choice.

Before I go on, I understand that taking this to another smith opens up a whole new can of worms. Anything said by the competitor needs to be taken in stride until proven worthy, a lot of posturing and positioning for work can go into this. I feel like an idiot not seeing some of these things for myself, but I am no smith, I trusted a mutual friend to do a good job.

This first thing we noticed is that my stock has a big chip in it, on the rear of the trigger guard where the bottom metal meets the stock. I have no idea how I didn't see it before, but it's impossible to miss when removing/installing the bottom metal. There is no way he missed this, and I'm sure he did this himself. Looks like he went to grind a little stock away and it chipped it somehow. The stock was brand new, shipped directly to him. Not a word was said to me.

Next is the bolt face. The smith told me he could supply the 700 LA, that he had one in stock that was in real good shape, and he would blueprint/square it. The bolt face is pitted in several spots, looks like someone blew up some primers.

There are several other places where the workmanship looks like crap. Threads are rough as hell on the breech and on the brake. The chamber is pretty rough, leaves scratches on the case body. I know they aren't supposed to be mirror finish, but they shouldn't be rough enough to scratch the case.

On top of all this, the build went WAY over on labor, like twice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.