6.5 284 Opinions??

It seems that the throating of the 6.5x284 has never been standardized with the 6,5-284. Having spent quite a but of time used as a wildcat among bench rest shooters, each with their own set of tests, bullets, leades, etc, if you just ask a smith to build a 6.5x284 it may be pot luck, even if you tell them you want to shoot VLD's.

The several 6.5x284 rifles I have used for hunting with 140 gr VLD Bergers or JLK's have performed to the optimum velocity range using 24-26" barrels of 2950-3050FPS using 90%+ of Lapua case capacity with a 140 VLD has a seating distance to the lands of 3.17-3.19". Optimum twist should be 1:8 although shooters have gotten good results with 1:8.5. The throat diameter OD using Lapua or Norma brass loaded with a Berger/JLK should be .291-.292". The fired neck OD will generally run .296-.299". The powder charges for max velocity using a slow burner like Retumbo will run 56-59gr(work up!) and pretty much fill the case and still seat a VLD to the lands. This has been my experience and has worked exceptionally well for many years but I don't claim it to be gospel. Each shooter seems to have their own formula and this seems to be the issue with standardization among smiths. I think both Savage and Cooper have the perfect dimensions for shooting 140 VLDs with their commercially available rifles. With Cooper you have to specify a 1:8 twist.

It seems that the throating of the 6.5x284 has never been standardized with the 6,5-284. Having spent quite a but of time used as a wildcat among bench rest shooters, each with their own set of tests, bullets, leades, etc, if you just ask a smith to build a 6.5x284 it may be pot luck, even if you tell them you want to shoot VLD's.

The several 6.5x284 rifles I have used for hunting with 140 gr VLD Bergers or JLK's have performed to the optimum velocity range using 24-26" barrels of 2950-3050FPS using 90%+ of Lapua case capacity with a 140 VLD has a seating distance to the lands of 3.17-3.19". Optimum twist should be 1:8 although shooters have gotten good results with 1:8.5. The throat diameter OD using Lapua or Norma brass loaded with a Berger/JLK should be .291-.292". The fired neck OD will generally run .296-.299". The powder charges for max velocity using a slow burner like Retumbo will run 56-59gr(work up!) and pretty much fill the case and still seat a VLD to the lands. This has been my experience and has worked exceptionally well for many years but I don't claim it to be gospel. Each shooter seems to have their own formula and this seems to be the issue with standardization among smiths. I think both Savage and Cooper have the perfect dimensions for shooting 140 VLDs with their commercially available rifles. With Cooper you have to specify a 1:8 twist.

Greyfox, you've posted a whole lot of data and good information on the LRH forums for the 6.5X284. Thank you for taking the time.

Time for a more positive update to this train wreck!

Had the local smith punch the throat a little deeper as planned to accommodate the 140's. I passed on the information found here, and it was spot on with his suggestion as well.

Haven't shot it a lot, but it's obvious that it's going to shoot what I want well with a little development. So far, 57 g Retumbo, lapua cases, BR-2 primers and 140 VLD's with an OAL of 3.10 is producing fantastic groups at 100. I am going to continue loading up another grain or two until pressure or accuracy is compromised.

Below is a 4 shot group from this morning, beyond satisfied if this will repeat. I may have pulled the high flyer.

Thanks GreyFox and everyone else for the info and advice.

Attachments

• IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 122
I'd try making it perform with 120's and see if it's worth mucking with. Then decide if you want to rechamber or rethroat the thing. theres lots of good smiths out there will help you out just dont tell them the other guy mucked it up, they hate that.

Thanks but its already been rethroated, the group above was after the rework.

I had to do a little more work on the load, ES was too high. Changed primers and messed with it a little more and I think I've found a winner for now. 57g of retumbo, fed 210m, 140 bergers about 5/1000's off is giving me right at 2950, verified by drop at distance. Hunting season is on so I haven't had a lot of time to stretch it's legs, but it is holding a little better than 1/2 moa at 500.

Thanks BrentM for all your help with this.

So far it's put 3 deer in the freezer for us this year, the wife and kids love shooting it. No kick and a pretty big whop on the other end.

Here's my youngest daughters first buck with it, the wife shot one with it this year as well.

Attachments

• IMAG0282.jpg
    IMAG0282.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0324.jpg
    IMAG0324.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 106
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.