6.5-280 imp rcbs

Rjrhino88

I just inherited a Remington 700 that my grandfather had re barreled to 6.5-280 improved rcbs. I don't reload but after reading as much as I could find I think this would make an awesome long range mulie gun. Any suggestions on where to begin with reloading? I also want to get a new lightweight stock and need some suggestions there as well. Any other suggestions on modifications welcome. Thanks

Reloading for a wildcat cartridge is not a beginner's game. That said, if you take your time and stay safe it can be accomplished with a couple of stepping stones.

I would start by buying a book or thirty on the subject and buying a rifle that is a bit easier to load for, like a 223 Remington or 308 Win, possibly a 30-06... There is a ton of into out there for these cartridges and that helps a bunch. Think of it as putting training wheels on for a few weeks before you get the keys to the Ferrari...

I would get a decent amount of gear... a press, scale, priming tool, etc... I would refrain from dropping coin on tools you really do not need to start with, like a progressive press or a run-out gauge... If you want to dive deeper into the game after you get your feet wet, by all means, but to start with keep it simple.

As to your stock... look around... someone is always selling the toy they decided they really don't need to fund the toy they now do "need".

Rjrhino88,

Did you get any formed brass and loading dies with it? If so treat it just like you would anything else. Lube the cases. Insert a shell holder and a sized case with no powder or bullet into the press. Run the ram up all the way. Set the sizing die so the cases are too long for the chamber after sizing. Then turn the die in no more than 1/20th of a turn. This will give you about .003" inch shorter headspace each time you twist it 1/20th of a turn. Once you can close the bolt with almost no resistance you are there. You need the slightest resistance. Don't forget to lube the cases before you size them. Clean the lube off before you try the case in the rifle. If the bolt does not close almost with ease then lube the case again and size it after tuning the die in about 1/20th of a turn. If you have no formed cases, follow this procedure with new .280 or .270 brass. When running them into the die the first time, go slowly. You can't go too slow, but you can go too fast. If you go too fast you will crush the case. Don't forget to lube the outside of case neck. Remove the sizing die.

With the clean sized case in the shell holder and the ram all the way up, twist the seating die into the press until it stops on the sized brass case. Now twist it UP, that is UP, taking it away from the case mouth about 1/2 turn. This will prevent you from accidentally crimping a bullet when there is no crimp necessary. Now twist the seating stem up a LONG way.

You may want a dumby round. Use the case with no primer or powder that is in the shell holder. Put a bullet in the case mouth and run the ram up pushing the case into the seating die all the way. Turn the seating stem down till you can't turn it any more. Now back the case out of the die about 1/4" and hold it there. Now twist the setting stem down until it won't go and bring the case slowly back up into the die. This seats the bullet into the case. Check it in the magazine. Repeat this until it fits the magazine with zero problems.

You are now ready to load some ammo.

Do you have any loading supplies and notes? If not start with top end loads for a .260 Remington for the powder and bullet you want to use. Increase the powder charges by 1/2 grain until you don't like something. If the bolt is the slightest bit sticky lifting after firing one, back off 1 1/2 grains. If the primers is really flat to the edges back off a grain.

Enjoy the toy.

6.5-280 Imp?? Given that the parent case for the 280 Imp. is the 30-06, isn't the 6.5-280 Imp. just another name for the 6.5-06 Improved?

Thanks for the reply's. I think I am going to get some re loading Equipement and give it a go.

I purchased a rcbs rock chicken master kit on cabelas. Does anyone have any tips for reloading literature? I also need to get does but can't find any online. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Every reloading manual I own (I think I have 8 now) has reloading instructions at the beginning of the book. Buy a Hornaday/Berger/Speer/Sierra/Nosler reloading manual and any one of those will instruct you in the basics of reloading ammunition. It'd be far better than getting the information on an interdnet forum. Learn the basics and go from there.

Every reloading manual I own (I think I have 8 now) has reloading instructions at the beginning of the book. Buy a Hornaday/Berger/Speer/Sierra/Nosler reloading manual and any one of those will instruct you in the basics of reloading ammunition. It'd be far better than getting the information on an interdnet forum. Learn the basics and go from there.

^^^^^Yep!

Steve

I purchased a rcbs rock chicken master kit on cabelas. Does anyone have any tips for reloading literature? I also need to get does but can't find any online. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
dies are going to be a bit of a wild card for this rifle... it is a custom chambering so the dies will be more costly... also more rare.... I can't even find this chamber listing in the RCBS custom chamberings list at present...
This will be a custom die maker proposition
http://www.whiddengunworks.com/ ... somewhere to start... I haven't used them, but I've heard good of them...

I live 20 minutes from RCBS in oroville so i will check with them. The nosler book comes with the kit I bought so I will start there. Any other advice on load work ups I should look at 6.5-06? 6.5-280 ai?

I live 20 minutes from RCBS in oroville so i will check with them. The nosler book comes with the kit I bought so I will start there. Any other advice on load work ups I should look at 6.5-06? 6.5-280 ai?

You will find 6.5-06 load data published. You won't find any data for the 6.5-280ai.

I can only tell you what I would do and you should take that with a grain of salt. The world of wildcats is a bit in the frontier. I would use top end published loads for the 6.5-06 as start loads in the 6.5-280ai. I would only look at the slowest of the powders in the published loads.

If you choose to shoot our bullets we will help you with load development.

Steve

Ackley's book Vol II has loading data for 6.5x280 Improved RCBS and they necked down 280 Improved case. They don't list who's bullets or which 4350 powder they used but they do list barrel 26" with 1/9 twist.

Since your going by RCBS they may have reamer print or some other loading data. Might want to read this.

Anyone running a 6.5x280 Ackley? | Shooters' Forum

There is one post that shooting 6.5x280 Improved RCBS and it has 30 degree shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.