6.5-280 Ackley

KyleC

I'm considering re-barreling my 280 Ackley to a 6.5-280 Ackley. My 280AI's accuracy is starting to open up. Its last health check up showed severe fire cracking in the throat area. It still shoots MOA but was once a one hole gun. I have a pile of Berger 156's and thought the 6.5 would be a fun cartridge. Any thoughts or anyone want to talk me out of it? Should I stay with the 280 AI?

I'm considering re-barreling my 280 Ackley to a 6.5-280 Ackley. My 280AI's accuracy is starting to open up. Its last health check up showed severe fire cracking in the throat area. It still shoots MOA but was once a one hole gun. I have a pile of Berger 156's and thought the 6.5 would be a fun cartridge. Any thoughts or anyone want to talk me out of it? Should I stay with the 280 AI?
I really like the 6.5mm. Sounds like this would be a real Fast & Flat shooter!

Did this yesterday with mine. Had a lot change in powder and went out to confirm. Dropped 60fps!!! RL-33 and the 156. Great combo and a great round, you won't regret doing it!
Screenshot_20240512_113530_Range Buddy.jpg

You can look at the Sherman website, at the 6.5 Sherman.
It's a little hotter but would give you an idea of what to expect, different lengths, bullets etc.
You actually blow a 280AI shoulder forward after the neck down, with that one.