6.5-270? Good Choice?

arthurj

Hey guys I need some help making a decision here. Would the long neck on the 6.5 270 help my throat life enough to chose this cartridge over the 6.5 06? Does anyone have any experience with this cartridge? What about reamers? should i have a reamer made with that will cut my chamber with a tight base? Should I forget these and just go with the 6.5 284? Just getting my plan together for a new deer rifle. Thanks a bunch

Yep that is a main consideration that did not cross my mind! Maybe Ill go with the 06.
Jerry, I noticed when I was searching through some posts that you seem to like this cartridge. Would you mind when you get a minute, giving me some more info on your gun. Chamber dimensions, barrel length etc.? I have found some posts on benchrest.com that say this cartridge needs a tighter base dimension. Thanks a lot

Why not go with a 6.5-284 since all the benchrest dies,brass, etc are already out there? I realize that the 06 will have a little more velocity, but enough to offset the inconvience of shooting an odd caliber? Just a thought.

Hey Wapiti, I know that is what I probably should do, but I just can't seem to convince myself to keep it simple.

Arthurj,

The 6.5-06 is a great cartridge but personally I would go with the AI version with its sharper shoulder. Barrel life is not much differnet if any then the standard round and case life is longer.

To load all you have to do is seat a 6.5mm Boattail bullet in a 25-06 case, fire and out comes a 6.5-06 AI. It offers nearly 264 Win Mag performance with barrel life nearly the same as the 6.5-06.

I have built several of these and all have been exceptional shooters. My personal rifle, first one I ever built was on a commerical Mauser 98 receiver and its an honest 1/2 moa rifle even with a cheap A&B barrel(started with cheap barrels just in case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!).

My personal rifle loves the 142 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3025 fps. Not a max load but very consistant and accurate and performance on deer size game out to 1/2 mile is impressive.

I would agree with the stated comments that the standard 6.5-06 is a better choice then the 6.5-270 simply from a economical stand point.

Kirby Allen(50)

Authurj,

I have built serveral 6.5-06 standards they are a great round. The 6.5-270 is extra work for no practical gains in my opinion. If you are wanting something a little different with just a little extra work then the 6.5-06 AI that Kirby recommends is a great round, but the 270 version is simply a waste of time. I have not seen that the 270 version lasts any longer than the 06 version.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.