Is .270 wsm good enough for LRH?

Man I love this website! I've learned more in the last week than the last ten years! I'm definitly in love with this cartridge. The winchester action just doesn't seem smooth to me. I'm guessing thats what lil tank said would be lapped and trued? I will talk to the gunsmith this week. Thanks for everyones help. You guys are awesome!

Another thought would be the improvement of performance of a good bc in a 160 gr class bullet. The 169.5 Wildcat will work very well but I'm betting the external ballistics would/may prove to favor a 160 w/a WSM velocity capability.

A quick check with exbal, etc would/could be revealing.

Just thinkin' .....a dangerous thing for me.:rolleyes:

bigngreen,

Funny that you suggest savage action because that's what i was leaning to anyway. Question: Would the barrel locknut that comes w/ the savage action still work with say a 5 or 6 contour barrel? Also, what about bedding the stock- aluminum or glass? I would like to get a full adjustable stock because my LOP is really short and I need a high cheekpiece. Does the B&C you recomend make that for a savage action? I know this will be a long learning curve but I still like to know as much as I can getting started. Thanks for all your help

Ya' the nut should roll right on a #5 or 6 contour. With your stocking needs you may take a look at Stockade Supply, Kevin would be able to build you a stock that would really rock, I like the B&C cause it's fast and fits me fine but if I had time the Stockade stock would maybe be better. Stocks

I tinkered with some numbers and a guy would have to run a 160 gr bullet at 3200 fps with a BC of .650 to match what the 169.5 would do at 3000 fps with a .740 BC.

Ya' the nut should roll right on a #5 or 6 contour. With your stocking needs you may take a look at Stockade Supply, Kevin would be able to build you a stock that would really rock, I like the B&C cause it's fast and fits me fine but if I had time the Stockade stock would maybe be better. Stocks

I tinkered with some numbers and a guy would have to run a 160 gr bullet at 3200 fps with a BC of .650 to match what the 169.5 would do at 3000 fps with a .740 BC.

Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to enjoy this project more than I thought. Went to the stockade site and I'm convinced that is where i will get my stock. I will probably be in touch w/ you again when I get to the point of hanloading my own rounds. My neighbor is a handloader and spends alot of time at the range. Think I might be spending more time over his shop this spring. He is a big 22-250 shooter. Thanks again for your advice. HUGE help.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.