6.5 140vld at 3300-3400fps???? need help

My wifes 6.5mm Allen Magnum has around 500 rounds down the barrel and it still is a 1/2 moa rifle pretty easily. IT is not shot alot, it is not over heated, three round strings at a time max. 142 gr SMK at 3550 fps. THis is on a necked down 338 RUM with improved shoulder and body design.

3500 fps from a necked down 7mm Dakota, you are running that very hot to get that level of velocity with a 140 gr. I find this very questionable. My 257 Allen Xpress and 6.5mm Allen Xpress are both based on the 300 Dakota which has larger capacity then the 7mm Dakota and best I can get out of the 6.5 with 140 gr bullet weights is 3300-3350 fps with acceptable case life.

Have also tested the 140 gr Berger VLD Match bullets in 6.5-06 AI, 6.5mm WSM, 264 WM, 6.5mm STW, 6.5mm AX, 6.5mm RUM and my 6.5mm Allen Magnum and in barrel twists from 1-8 (3,4,5 and 6 groove), 1-9 (3 and 6 groove) and 1-10 ( 6 groove) and in with the 1-8 twist barrels, the Berger bullets let loose at 3200-3250 fps in every barrel tested. Including Lilja, Pac Nor, Broughton, Hart, Krieger and Rock........

1000 round down the barrel and you still have a 1/2" rifle at these pressures......

5" group at 700 yards out of your truck window.......

WOW!!! Don't know where to start here. IF you said you were shooting the 142 gr SMK I would believe it as they will survive any velocity you can drive them to, the 140 gr VLD..... I would have to see that to beleive it because I have probably dusted 3 lbs of 140 gr bergers in my ballistic testing.

Sorry, but every thing you have stated goes right in the face of nearly everything I have tested in ballistic performance.

Kirby,

you just said the bergers come apart at 3200-3250fps in 1-8 twist bbls, how about 1-9? 1-10? Will they remain stabilized from these twist rates? I'm interested in the 3300-3450fps bracket.

Kirby, thanks for the message. My gun has a 30 inch broughten with canted land. Just this afternoon I shot a .68 group in a 15 mph wind and chronoed the next round at 3555. These loads were 77.7 grains of rutombo with a 140 berger. These tend to be a little too hot as they are a bit tight on the bolt opening so I will shoot some at 76.5. to see. They only loads I have trouble with are the 100 grain and under as they will keyhole sometimes at 3950 to 4018 level. I dont understand why Im not having any trouble at these speeds. If it developes,which bullet would you reccomend that will take the velocity. I have 2 guns in this cal, one with a 1-8 and one with a 1-9. Any thoughts on powder for this round for reduced loads so I can see if I can get the 95 grain etc to shoot. thanks

When you find something let me know too, please. :)

I've got a Accumark 300Wby that has been sitting doing nothing for to long and is either going to get sold or made into a 6.5 overbore something.

I'm personally not a big fan of belted cases or the short fat cases like the WSM which is why I was thinking something like a 6.5-7RUM. But, it was brought to my attention that I would most likely need atleast a 30 or 30+ tube to get any kind of reasonable amount of gain it would be capable of. Bummer for me but it certainly makes sense.

If you do a 6.5 off a WSM case do they typically use the 7WSM case and neck it down from there? The 7WSM case, going by the #'s, looks to have the most case capacity of all the WSM's as well as would be a simple neck down to 6.5.

How well do these short fat cases with long bullets feed thru a long action and what kind of FPS do they get with the 140ish bullets????

The 6.5X300 Weatherby and the 6.5X7STW is the only ones I find that will shoot a 140 grain 3470 fps.

I get 3140 fps with a 143 eldx from my 6.5-300 with light loads. I was looking to run some 156 eols berger or 140 vld for some long range plinking.

This has been posted before, but here we go. I made a 6.5-.338 RUM but used 7RUM brass to gain an extra .100" length on the neck. It gets 3,419 feet per second from a 27 1/2" Lilja 9 twist barrel on a Savage action. It is fired single shot because the magazine was made for a 7 mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.