need help

kory

just got a killer deal on sellier & belliot ammo for my .338 lapua magnum and i camt find any balistics info to set/make adjustments with my turrets i was wondering if anyone knows how to get this or if someone knows im trying to figureout how many clicks for yards new rifle... thanks

Seller & Belott make a lot of ammo, but I assume you're working with the 250 grain HPBT .338 Lapua Magnum from their inventory.
With no more information than the type, style and weight of the bullet there isn't enough to work with in determining ballistics data that will help you set preliminary sight adjustments.
You will need at least bullet weight, BC (preferably G7), muzzle velocity, height of scope tube center relative to center of the bore and the maximum range you intend to shoot for the basic ballistics data.

I haven't shot any of their ammo in a few years but as I recall they give basic ballistic data on the box.

If they no longer do that sight it in at 100yds, look up the ballistic data for the bullet used and figure a mid range loading to get a rough MV and then shoot it at 300 and 500yds to verify your drops and you can back calculate your actual MV from there using several different ballistic calculators.

If your POI is higher than what your predicted POI was change the velocity up a bit. If your actual POI is lower then lower the velocity a bit.

As far as clicks that depends on your scope. You need to look up your particular scope on line or read your owner's manual if you have it to find out if the scale is IPHY, MOA, Mils, and what the click value is.

I have scopes that are graduated in mils that are .1 mils per click.

I have others that are graduated in MOA which are .25 MOA per click.

You have to plug those values into your ballistic program to get the drops.

It is much easier to think in MOA or Mils than it is to try and count clicks. If your scope is in mils usually you have a scale on your windage and elevation knobs that will count off 1-25 or so with eight has marks in between. Each of those hash marks will be .1 mils.

If your program shows a correction of 6.3 mils you go up six, then add 3 more clicks.

If using MOA then if your program shows a correction of 19.6 MOA you'd dial up 19 plus 2 more clicks (assuming .25MOA per click ) and then hold just a shade high.

You really need to read up on your scope and understand it before you start sending rounds down range, otherwise it gets very expensive and frustrating.

I hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts