.277 Berger 140VLD Hunting

huntnjim

I shoot a Weaver Custom 270/300wm wildcat, some of us refer to it as the 270Arnold.
I have had good luck with the Barnes TSX140 and 74 grn of RL22 MV=3350fps. 1/10twist barrel and at 200 yds 3/4" group off bench. However out at 500yds I am more than 6" but good expansion and weight retension.
Anyone have experience with the .277 Berger 140 grain VLD hunting bullet.
Accuracy, expansion and weight retension on real animals close and beyond 400yds?

Nailed a beaver one day at about 200. Saw a red mist, big splash, and lots of bubbles. Around 3300fps in a 270WSM. Still have not had the chance to pull the trigger on anything larger.

They do not function like the TSX but everything I've shot with them drops. A few elk in the 200-400, jacket will end up just under the off side with a real nice hole blown in all the goodies with the elk on it's nose. Deer they blow a hole clean through usually. Some where around 3340 fps is where they start having issues with the thin jacket for me.
Changed over the the 165 Matrix Ballistics VLD haven't looked back since!!!!

They do not function like the TSX but everything I've shot with them drops. A few elk in the 200-400, jacket will end up just under the off side with a real nice hole blown in all the goodies with the elk on it's nose. Deer they blow a hole clean through usually. Some where around 3340 fps is where they start having issues with the thin jacket for me.
Changed over the the 165 Matrix Ballistics VLD haven't looked back since!!!![/QUOT

So looking forward to building one of these 270wsm's for antelope and monster muleys...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts