6.5 140vld at 3300-3400fps???? need help

now my head is spinning;)

thanks again guys. the BC on the 6.5 140vld and the 7mm 168vld are nearly identical. i was just thinking that if you could push the 6.5 that much faster it would edge out the 7mm by a ways, but it sounds like it will be a lot of trouble, and/or too long in the barrel dept as well. so maybe a 7wsm(or something in 7mm) shooting the 168vld may be the best choice for what i'm looking for?

i can run a 7wsm in a SA right?

this will be for deer/antelope at longer ranges, but if it was used for elk i would limit my shot distances. i always archery hunt elk, so i doubt that will be an issue.

thanks again for the responses, it's helping me sort out my thoughts in a more educated way.
thanks again

If your going the route or the 7WSM, then take a look at the 7SAUM. It is a little more efficient and runs with the WSM with a little less powder. That is the direction I was going to go at one point. Check this article out:

7mm Cartridge Guide

Tank

that was a good read. thanks a lot.
the 7mmSAUM looks pretty stinking good. get a little better performance then the 6.5's, and you get almost the same performance as the 7wsm with 7-10% less powder. don't think i want to shoot the 180's(.659 bc), but i think the 168vld (.617bc) or the 162amax(.625bc) would be pretty impressive.

one think that i was seeing was that the guys were pushing the 180's to 3k from the 7saum, but the loads for the 160 class bullets were closer to 2900fps??? don't know why they were shooting slower then the 180's unless the accuracy node was slower??? any experience with speeds from the 162-168gr bullets?

it would do well in the SA, and a 24" barrel would be ok as well.

i think i'm getting closer:) thanks

but i think the 168vld (.617bc) or the 162amax(.625bc) would be pretty impressive.

one think that i was seeing was that the guys were pushing the 180's to 3k from the 7saum, but the loads for the 160 class bullets were closer to 2900fps??? don't know why they were shooting slower then the 180's unless the accuracy node was slower??? any experience with speeds from the 162-168gr bullets?

Some of what I can tell you is due to bearing surface. I have experienced much higher pressures when using Hornady bullets compared to other match grade bullets. This will cause a loader to have to settle with lower velocities, but with the higher BC's it makes it practical. I would imagine you could push the 168's and even the 162's pretty hard. Those 3000fps numbers are pushing it pretty hard. I would imagine brass life is very limited at those velocities.

Tank

so do you think that you could push the 168vld faster than the hornady because of bearing surface?

as far as the 280ai goes, i don't really want to fire form brass so that rules that out for me.

so do you think that you could push the 168vld faster than the hornady because of bearing surface?

as far as the 280ai goes, i don't really want to fire form brass so that rules that out for me.

Yes you should be able to push it harder to right around 3050 to 3100fps. I have a feeling that will be on the upper pressure levels, but still doable. You'll have to use Mag Pro, or RL17 powders to get that velocity with lower pressures and probably push it a little harder. There is a guy on this sight that shoots a 7SAUM. Here is one of his posts.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/results-jens-antelope-season-pics-61936/

Looks like he uses the A-max, but I think he has also used the 168's. Check him out and pm him. As far as the 280AI, it is now a factory round. You can order preformed brass from Nosler. It isn't difficult fireforming for that round either. Buy straight 280 and shoot. Now you have 280AI.

Tank

Another way to go is to neck down a 7mm dakota to 264 and you will get really nice performance. I can get 3500 with 140,3787 with 120,4018 with 100,and athe 618 bc of the bergers give you much more down range than the 7mm, just thoughts.

dang lboom!! how long does your barrel last? those are screaming speeds. how is the accuracy at 3500 with the 140's? do they fall apart at that speed?

I have over 1000 rounds threw 1 gun and 500 plus threw the other and the barrels are still hanging in there,granted not all the loads are that fast. The 140s and 120s are both capable of 1/2 inch groups. Its a fun gun to shoot,recoil not all that bad, I just shot a 5 inch 700 yard pattern out the pickup window and love the round

I think you will be running a very high risk of blowing up the Berger VLD's at those speeds! They were blowing up out of 6.5-284's at 2950-3000fps in F-Class competitions. That's the reason they make Match VLD's, they have thicker jackets... they are not recommended for hunting though.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.