6.5 130 grain hunting bullet help

Nice shooting Alan! What is the approx bc for that bullet? What barrel length do you have? Is this a hot load?

Riley

Hey Riley,

It's the 2nd of the two 6.5x47's I have. They were both built by Chris Matthews of Longshot Rifles, Missouri, now out of business. Great 'smith, horrible businessman. This one on a Pierce SA, 24.5" #3 Broughton/1:8, McMillan Remington Sporter stock, Harrell 2-port brake (so I can see the impacts) Rifle Basix Trigger @ 2.2 lbs, Pierce 20 moa base, Farrell alum rings and NF NXS 2.5-10x42mm with MOAR reticle. My brass has something akin to 22 firings on it since the barrel has over 2200 rounds though it. I using 42.3 gr of Reloader 17, Fed 205m primer and the 142 Matrix VLD seated .085" off the lands (3.003" using the Hornady Comparator) for 2917 fps and 5 SD for 10 rounds. In my rifle the load is stiff but i'm not seeing ejector marks nor stiff bolt lift and I ran it up to 42.6 gr with the same results. Not sure if the base of the brass is work hardened (anneal every 3x firing) and doesn't show ejector marks and since the bases don't get annealed or the Pierce action just handles the pressure, or doesn't show the pressure.

Published BC on the Matrix site is a G1 of .625. I used a G7 of .318, suggested by the folks here on LRH.com. Not cheap and Marshal's (owner of Matrix) shipping is ridiculous.

Alan

Hey Riley,

It's the 2nd of the two 6.5x47's I have. They were both built by Chris Matthews of Longshot Rifles, Missouri, now out of business. Great 'smith, horrible businessman. This one on a Pierce SA, 24.5" #3 Broughton/1:8, McMillan Remington Sporter stock, Harrell 2-port brake (so I can see the impacts) Rifle Basix Trigger @ 2.2 lbs, Pierce 20 moa base, Farrell alum rings and NF NXS 2.5-10x42mm with MOAR reticle. My brass has something akin to 22 firings on it since the barrel has over 2200 rounds though it. I using 42.3 gr of Reloader 17, Fed 205m primer and the 142 Matrix VLD seated .085" off the lands (3.003" using the Hornady Comparator) for 2917 fps and 5 SD for 10 rounds. In my rifle the load is stiff but i'm not seeing ejector marks nor stiff bolt lift and I ran it up to 42.6 gr with the same results. Not sure if the base of the brass is work hardened (anneal every 3x firing) and doesn't show ejector marks and since the bases don't get annealed or the Pierce action just handles the pressure, or doesn't show the pressure.

Published BC on the Matrix site is a G1 of .625. I used a G7 of .318, suggested by the folks here on LRH.com. Not cheap and Marshal's (owner of Matrix) shipping is ridiculous.

Alan
Sorry but it is what it is, It's Canada post not me, if you look at the shipping costs on the delivery I actually loose $ on the shipping.

Thanks Alan, im thinking about having a 6.5x47 lapua built. Rem short action, trued, 22" #4 contour barrel plus one of Chuck McIntosh's brakes, greybull stock and vortex hs-t 4-16. I will probably shoot the 142s or possibly even the 150 matrix bullets. I have shot the 150 and 160s in my 6.5x284 with awesome results. Think i could get the 142s too 2800 in a 22" barrel?

I have to stick up for MATRIX on the shipping costs. Shipping in Canada is extremely high; with slow delivery times. Those costs are out of his control.

I shoot 130 grn Swift Scirocco II in my 264WM with great success. They copper foul a bit more than i would like but they have accuracy and they're bonded so made for hunting.

JLK Bullets has a 130gr VLD that is everything the Berger is. Plus it's available. Shoots great out of my 24" Proof Research barrel.

Killed a nice little bull the other day @ 950 with the 142 gr Matrix VLD out of my 6.5x47 Lapua. Only had 6 minutes of legal light left at the shot. I should say shots. First range using my Leica 10x42 HD-B's was 1020 but by the time I got set up he'd, unknowingly, moved in to 950 and I shot clean over his back. Ranged again, redialed to 20.75 moa, held 1/2 moa for a 3 mph full value wind and killed him, quartering to me. Used Rel 17 for a 2917 MV. Sorry, no pics; dark, cold and a bunch of work to get done. Bullet entered above and just in front of the right front shoulder, dropping down through his chest cavity. I did a gutless breakdown job, eliminating having to get too messy so I don't have much to report on what the bullet did.

Oh, and 2 years back, up in Montana, I killed a nice 3x4 mulie @ 500 with the 127 LRX from the same rifle. Then 3 months later, a very large late season cow elk at 450 yds.

Alan
What is your barrel length?

Great reports thank you for sharing.

Welcome to LRH. You may want to reconfirm the posting dates of threads before you respond. We have all resurrected Zombie threads without realizing it.

That post was made 8 years ago.

Just sayin'.
Oh man I've done so many of those haha. Resurrected thread king.

As I joke, I used to be a baptist preacher, I believe in and I'm a huge fan of RESURRECTION!!! 🤣