6.5-06 H1000

Eons & eons ago we shot LC 7.62X51 GI match brass, scrounged up from Army team shooters (M14's). Necks were tuned using a Forster neck turner chucked into a drill press and the brass clamped into a pipe like jig secured to the drill press table. Quick work to turn 300-500 cases for NRA match.
I had a friend that shot those matches back in the 80s And scrounged brass. When he quit he had saved about two 5 gallon buckets full which he gave to me years later. They work very well in the AR 10.

I've been running Staball HD with the 130g Berger AR Hybrid in a A-Squared 6.5/06. I used it at 90• plus to take a couple of depredation does this summer and had no issues with temperature sensitivity. I haven't had a chance to shoot it in cold weather yet, but I will make a point to test it as it cools down this fall to be certain how it performs

Nice to chat about this stuff.

My fired OD is .296, neck walls measure .013-.014. The loaded neck ODs are .291. Bullet easily slip fit into fired neck mouths.

Sgs for the 8-twist using 147 ELDM's & other.

View attachment 496506

Stability looks good, Sg's about 1.8.

I have had sudden accuracy degradation & the cause was neck wall thickening causing inconsistent bullet/neck/chamber clearance. When reforming .30-06 to 6.5-06, neck turning is required to get .291 OD bullet loaded necks with my .30-06 brass. Not so with .270 W brass reformed to 65-06.
I checked some of my necks with 270 Rem and 30-06 as far as loaded neck size. There were some mixed in as high as .294 with lots of 293s. Chamber neck is .296. That's a bit tight.
So I decided to start over using only Winchester 270 brass for now. I'm annealing, full length sizing, then trimming, then running it through my Lee Collet as after the collet it fits very well on my turner pilot. I'm turning them down to .013 which is just a good skim. Loaded necks are at .291 or just a shade under so when I load this time neck issues should be behind me. I may not have needed to turn with the Winchester brass but it couldn't hurt to skim them and clean them up.

Thanks for the good info. I recently bought a Sako 85 in 6.5-06. Been shooting and loading .25-06 a few years. I'll check in here from time to time, I'm glad to get info on this new to me caliber.

Recent Posts