6.5-06 H1000

Turpentine21

Guys I've been doing a little work with H 1000 in my 65-06 with 147 and 140 ELDMs. Standard 6.5-06 A Square Match chambered 26" 1 in 8 twist Criterion barrel In a Mack Brothers Evo 2 long action. I like to do some load work in the summer so I don't get surprises when the temp rises. It's been 90-95 here with high coastal South Carolina humidity. The information in this post comes with the usual warning. These loads are safe in my rifle. They may not be safe in yours. Please start low and work up as 6.5-06 chambers tend to vary a lot.
With the 147s I started at 54.5 grains and went up to 58 grains. I used federal 210s and cci BR2s In Remington 30/06 brass And seated 3.388 or .012 off the lands. The first good node I hit was at 55-55.2 grains. Accuracy was good but stats were just ok. Velocity averaged 2890.
The second node I hit was at 56.5. Primers were still nice and round, bolt lift was easy. Primer pockets remained tight when I resized and inserted new primers. The stats on this charge weight were dead on single digits with many duplicate velocities. By far the most stable statistical node I have found with this barrel. BR 2s seemed to be slightly more accurate than the Fed. 210s for this load. Of course it worked out that way because I have many more 210s than BR2s. I plan to do more work with seating depth here. Velocity was 2936 average
I hit pressure signs at 57.5 and 58 grains with velocity up around the 3000 mark. This was pretty much right along with what Quickload gave me. Nothing catastrophic but sticky bolt lift and primers flattened. There was a good accuracy node at 58 but I won't be going anywhere near that high again. Primer pockets were toast.
I haven't done much with the 140s yet but it's worth mentioning that 56 grains is very consistent with a seating depth of 3.368. The lands with this bullet are at 3.373. I plan to do more work here with seating depth as accuracy wasn't great. Velocity was a consistent 2945. No signs whatsoever of pressure. I suspect some of the issues with accuracy are me. I never shoot as well when it's hot and my glasses are fogging. I have been shooting H4831sc and pretty much topped out at 2890 with 147s. I decided to try H1000 in the hopes of getting that speed or a little more while getting a bit less pressure. It appears that may work out.
As I do more testing and close in on a load I'll try to update as 6.5-06 info tends to be a little bit sparse. I'll do a good bit more testing as it cools off. I'd like to try some different brass possibly and have even given some thought to trying some Peterson 270 brass. I generally used once fired cases. I anneal and then full length size. Then I neck size with a Lee collet just to make sure neck tension remains consistent. Once my cases are fire formed I just use the collet and bump shoulders with a body die as needed. I'm hoping the 147s work out well. The BC is nice and it stays Nice and flat at distance. I've shot around 200 of them so far and fortunately have not had any disintegrate on the way to the target as some folks had a few years back.

Last edited:
Well I wish I had good news on H1000 and 147s. What looked good the first time looked like hockey the second time around. I have shot about 200 of the 147s at this point with 3 different powders and sometimes it looks like it wants to play ball and other times looks like molten SHIITaki.
Figured I would take a harder look at 140 eldm's which I have already done some work with and all indications told me to try to drive them a little faster. I went to 56.6 grains and then seated the 140 at 3.355 or 20 off and shot a respectable sub half inch group 3 with the 4th a called pull And good statistics. So maybe, fingers crossed, I can find something good in this area. no pressure signs at this point with a solid 2940fps. Hopefully I'll dial something in soon. I'll go shoot a 400 yard ladder if I can ever get away from the house a while.
What is weird is that I had a good load with 147s and h4831sc but it has gone south bad. The only thing that changed is lot numbers on bullets. I'm not sure but I'm gonna shelf the 147s for a while and play with 140s. Might even try some Bergers. Never thought I'd hear me say that. EVER

Loading for 6.5-06

I have had the best results in my 8 twist 6.5-06's using H1000 & 140 grain match burners. My 53-grain load is not as fast as yours with 140 ELDM's and 3.6 grains more H1000 but accuracy is OK and consistent.

IMG_1151.JPG

Sorry for the messy target & incomplete supporting data - 200 yard group. Shoots OK at 80 F plus.

Another powder worth trying is STABALL HD

IMG_2002.JPG

^ 57.0 Staball HD, 100 yards

Screenshot (700).pngScreenshot (701).png

StaBall HD shows promise & is cheaper & more available, at least where I buy my gun stuff.

The Barnes 6.5, 140 Match Burner is an underrated bullet and is cheap to buy.

I am now working on a rodent load using the 123 H ELDM & Staball HD. Hopefully, I can get enough Staball HD in the case to get about 3100 fps.

I am determined to do a better job loading to reduce extreme spreads & better load data documentation.

Check your case mouth size (ID) for consistent neck tension & bullet clearance. When reforming 6.5-06 from .30-06 I always turn necks to .288. Bullet should easily slip fit into fired case mouths. The brass that shot these groups was annealed.

Last edited:
I generally anneal to begin with and then every other firing. I do get better groups when I use fireformed brass and a Lee collet. I've checked and don't have an issue with thick necks as I'm .291od loaded and .2957 od fired. I've used both 30/06 and 270 brass and actually prefer 270 brass. I like the eldm's as they work well at longer range depredation which will be the main use for this gun. If I can get them to shoot. I'm starting to think there is just something with the 147s this barrel doesn't like. Maybe the 140s will get it done.

Nice to chat about this stuff.

My fired OD is .296, neck walls measure .013-.014. The loaded neck ODs are .291. Bullet easily slip fit into fired neck mouths.

Sgs for the 8-twist using 147 ELDM's & other.

Screenshot (730).png

Stability looks good, Sg's about 1.8.

I have had sudden accuracy degradation & the cause was neck wall thickening causing inconsistent bullet/neck/chamber clearance. When reforming .30-06 to 6.5-06, neck turning is required to get .291 OD bullet loaded necks with my .30-06 brass. Not so with .270 W brass reformed to 65-06.

Loading for 6.5-06

I have had the best results in my 8 twist 6.5-06's using H1000 & 140 grain match burners. My 53-grain load is not as fast as yours with 140 ELDM's and 3.6 grains more H1000 but accuracy is OK and consistent.

View attachment 496457

Sorry for the messy target & incomplete supporting data - 200 yard group. Shoots OK at 80 F plus.

Another powder worth trying is STABALL HD

View attachment 496458

^ 57.0 Staball HD, 100 yards

View attachment 496459View attachment 496460

StaBall HD shows promise & is cheaper & more available, at least where I buy my gun stuff.

The Barnes 6.5, 140 Match Burner is an underrated bullet and is cheap to buy.

I am now working on a rodent load using the 123 H ELDM & Staball HD. Hopefully, I can get enough Staball HD in the case to get about 3100 fps.

I am determined to do a better job loading to reduce extreme spreads & better load data documentation.

Check your case mouth size (ID) for consistent neck tension & bullet clearance. When reforming 6.5-06 from .30-06 I always turn necks to .288. Bullet should easily slip fit into fired case mouths. The brass that shot these groups was annealed.
I am very Leary with ball powders with what I do and where I live. The height of my depredation hunting can have temps above 95 degrees and very high humidity's. I have gotten into trouble with some powders and even some factory loads. In my medium powders Varget, Imr 4064, H4895, and AR Comp have been very good. I'm trying H4831sc and H1000 in the 6.5-06 and have uncharacteristically been working up loads with them in the heat. Which I'm really to old and fat to be doing. But hey, I'm making up for it by not shooting well. Those powders however seem to do a decent job in the heat.

Nice to chat about this stuff.

My fired OD is .296, neck walls measure .013-.014. The loaded neck ODs are .291. Bullet easily slip fit into fired neck mouths.

Sgs for the 8-twist using 147 ELDM's & other.

View attachment 496506

Stability looks good, Sg's about 1.8.

I have had sudden accuracy degradation & the cause was neck wall thickening causing inconsistent bullet/neck/chamber clearance. When reforming .30-06 to 6.5-06, neck turning is required to get .291 OD bullet loaded necks with my .30-06 brass. Not so with .270 W brass reformed to 65-06.
I do enjoy comparing notes and look forward to having time to run some real ladders and tests without sweating like a pig in the process. I appreciate any info I can get. I'll take a closer look. That is one reason why I prefer the 270 brass. I trim with a Forster 3 in 1 which makes quick work of the longer necks. I do have the capability to turn necks with my Forster neck turner as I usually turn my 308 LC Match Brass. If I were to order another 6.5 barrel and I'm sure I will. Would like a 27 or 28" barrel In the future. I would have it chambered in 6.5-270 just to use the longer neck And cut back on trim.
The one thing I haven't tried with the 147s is to either lightly jam, or seat them over .020 out. May be worth a try. I've considered trying some Starline brass as well. I prefer 270 win Winchester stamp if I can get them. The Remington 270 brass I have has been very consistent weight wise

Last edited:
The 123 eldm is a very good deer killer when you slow it down to 2600fps muzzle velocity. Granted we are shooting Doe's that weigh 80-120 pounds. Plus hogs. That is the bullet I run with my 6.5 Grendel and the thermal. Starting it out around 2500fps. Probably my favorite rifle and extremely accurate.

I must admit that I have done no shooting with Staball HD at temps over 82 F. But, should Staball HD be as good as Staball 6.5 in the temperature stability department, it should be a go when temps are close to 95 F. I use 53.0 grains of R-S Hunter with the 123 SST but have not used it at over 90 F.

Eons & eons ago, I and others were into shooting rock chucks (yellow belly marmots) at long ranges. We used 9 or 10 twist, 30-inch barrels, 6.5-06's with surplus H4831, 129 or 140 grain bullets. Velocities were close to 3,000 fps with the 140 Sierra GK. We took our 6.5-06 rifles with us when shooting NRA Hi power and when we were done with the match at 600 with .308's & targets were still being pulled we shot the 6.5-06's - what a difference, like blowing off spotters stuck in X rings. The pointy 123 ELD would outperform the olde 129 Hornady FB SP at long ranges. Many chucks got blown off rocks at slightly under 500 with the dumb looking 129 FB @ 3100 fps.

I turn necks with a Dewalt cordless & RCBS handheld neck turner.

IMG_2018.JPGIMG_2012.JPG

I get over 2,900 fps with the 6.5 CM & Staball 6.5 with 123 ELDM's.

IMG_2034.JPG
Screenshot (715).png

Last edited:
I think you found my problem. I just went down and pushed a bullet into every one of my fired cases. Some were easy pass through with little presssure. Most of those were 270 Winchester. Some were a light press fit. Some a little more pressure and then some really didn't want to go. These were mainly 30/06 Remington with a few difficult ones being 270 Remington. There was a tight Winchester or two as well. Neck wall thickness on those were .014-.015 plus in spots. Evidently I've had some drag in there which has caused some erratic groups and bad stats. This barrel did grouped quite well at first but that was all Winchester 270 brass. I guess I'll start cleaning up the necks a bit. All that makes sense as I had little problems early on with Winchester and even with the first lot of REM. The second lot became more problematic. I figured given my numbers that I had working room. Evidently not.

Now I gots to see what happens at 98.4 degrees F when shooting 57 - 59 gr. of Staball HD.
I think turned neck 6.5-06 rounds look cool with those shiny bright necks.
Extruded smokeless powders are not made in the USA. This is a big reason to try ball powders. I have had some bad surprises with H414 out on the rodent grounds on hot late June days.
Turn them necks!

Getting my turner set up now. I used to enjoy turning LC match And it made a difference in my accuracy.

In my experience when you get above 90 degrees even some of the better powders can get wonky. I ran into that with Power Pro 2000 and a bit with Reloader 15. Varget and AR comp are without question two of the most stable powders I've ever shot and imr 4064 works well also. I have seen factory Hornady ammo stick in the chamber on more than a few guns with different calibers when it gets hot. Particularly the superformance line. Also had a customers 270 WSM that would stick every shot with Winchester factory ammo from one box. Switched over to federal and never had a problem. Had an issue last year in a customers 30-06 where one brand would stick every shot while another ran without issue. Last year I tried some Privi 6.5 Grendel just to get the brass. At 95 degrees it was blowing primers while it shot very well below 85 degrees.
Our deer season starts in August and ends in January. So we can get temps from 105 to 20 degrees in the run of a season. Plus a big part of my shooting is done in May, June, and July. You can pretty much swim in our high humidity as well. Most folks may never have an issue with heat but I've learned I have to be careful here.

Now I gots to see what happens at 98.4 degrees F when shooting 57 - 59 gr. of Staball HD.
I think turned neck 6.5-06 rounds look cool with those shiny bright necks.
Extruded smokeless powders are not made in the USA. This is a big reason to try ball powders. I have had some bad surprises with H414 out on the rodent grounds on hot late June days.
Turn them necks!
Thank you for the help. I see now why some guys choose to use 25-06 brass and neck up. It's twice the price of 270 brass though And fairly scarce. The only time I've ever had issues with necks before was with LC 308 brass and my AR 10. It wasn't so much oversized necks as it was inconsistent neck wall thickness.

Eons & eons ago we shot LC 7.62X51 GI match brass, scrounged up from Army team shooters (M14's). Necks were tuned using a Forster neck turner chucked into a drill press and the brass clamped into a pipe like jig secured to the drill press table. Quick work to turn 300-500 cases for NRA match.

Recent Posts