6.5-06 Ackley Help!

Dano in the 130 grain bullet you may want to give the Scirrocco a shot. No pun intented!

It has a claimed BC of .571 and its terminal performance is great with high weight retention and a large mushroom.

I've heard that Swift Scirrocco IIs were really good bullets. I've never tried them because of the price tag. ($52/100 approx)

Accubonds are about $7 cheaper, Interbonds are $6 cheaperbut 140g Sierra Game kings are certainly cheaper Being about $27-$28/100. 130g Berger VLDs are $36/100.

I've used Sierra Gamekings with much success and I may give them a shot. At least for just general shooting. I do work up (sometimes) a primary hunting load and have a secondary load for just punching paper. It just depends on the rifle and what I'm using it for.

It all boils down to how much I can afford. I may try the Scirroccos, but it's pretty unlikely.

Dan

Brian,

Did you gain anything by doing the ackley?

Steve

Steve:

I didn't gain as much as I thought I would, but close. Funny thing is, the rifle seems to be more accurate at the 6.5-06 velocity, so I don't end up using the extra anyway. It was a fun one to work up, and I enjoy dinking with stuff, but if I did another one, I'm not sure I'd go the AI route. If I need more than the 6.5-06 will give, the 264 seems to be a better choice than the AI. Neither one will be real easy on barrels...or on game:D

Brian

I had heard that the 6.5-06 ai shows the least amount of gain of any of the ackley's, unless you are running 160's or bigger.

Steve

I hadn't heard that at all. I had actually heard that it, and the 280, were two of the better ones to go AI on.

Unfortunately, I think quite a few folks are loading their AIs well beyond safe pressures and relying a little too much on classic pressure signs that actually indicate a load is WAY beyond safe pressures. With my rifle, I'd certainly believe that there isn't much to be gained with 140s.

I haven't tried 160s, as the only ones I've been able to find are RN and while I'm sure they shoot fine, they just don't look sexy enough:)

Brian

have to agree with outofayer on the overloading. I have 2 other Ackleys and I have a friend who had Load from a Disk and also Quick Load. Between both of them we have been able to come up with good safe, high velocity loads that have little or no pressure signs. A couple of times I have found that what works in the parent cartridge doesn't neccessarily work in the improved one. However it depends on projectile and barrel length as well.

Dan

I had heard that the 6.5-06 ai shows the least amount of gain of any of the ackley's, unless you are running 160's or bigger.

Steve

I understand PO Ackley found no improvement with the 6.5-06 AI. It has been pointed out by others to me that he only had 4831 powder to work with. I think the abundance of slower powders will allow the AI to outperform the standard case nowdays.

That's why powders like IMR7828, RL-22, RL-25, Retumbo, US869, and H1000 all have appeal to me. In a 26" tube one should be able to get some more velocity using one of these powders, over the standard 6.5-06, even if shooting a 120-130g bullet vs a 140g Bullet.

I'm Positive I can get my 1-9" twist bullet to shoot 140s as well. Part of the reason I'm considering a 140g Sierra Gameking. If a .264 Win mag comes standard with a 1-9 Twist bbl, I should be able to shoot 140grs out of a 6.5-06 AI.

Dan

Dan:

I would agree; they should shoot fine. I have an 8.5 twist, and shoot 140 AMAXs with no problems at all, even though Hornady recommends a 7 twist for these. That's been the most accurate bullet in mine, with 53 gr RL22. Unfortunately, though, it's most accurate below top velocity, so that's where I shoot it. I've yet to see anything I've shot with it miss the extra 100 fps or so...and it's taken several whitetail, a mule deer, and two antelope so far. The jury is still out on what coyotes think of the round - I've yet to find a willing test subject:rolleyes:

Brian

Outofayer,

I would like to think that you'd keep looking for that Coyote. :) You're gonna run into one sooner or later.

I soot for accuracy as well. As a matter of fact, my .243 AI like a load 1.5grs under the max for it. It's not a varmit countour, but a 22" light weight, but still packs a punch. It's taken 2 Muley bucks so far. However, my .30-06 likes it hot and the hotter, the better it groups. If I dared, I'd load it 1 grain past max, but then there would be the stuck bolt, etc... As it is, I'm shooting the Max load from Quick Load for the bullet/powder combo. I know I'm actually yeilding higher velocities than Quick Load predicted. Man I love that gun!!!

With the 6.5-06AI I'm trying to have a deer/Antelope only rifle, I always wanted one any way. My gunsmith already has the reamer for the 6.5-06 A-square, but really wants the AI reamer. He told me he'd split the cost, and I'm a sucker for a Ackley Improved case any way, they are just soooo cool. :D

Even though the improvement may be marginal, It doesn't matter to me in the long run, because it's what I want and it's diffrent than the average Joe's rifle.
Sure I could build a .264 Win Mag, or a 6.5-06, or a 6.5x.284 but there are more of those out there than the 6.5-06 AI. the 6.5 Gibbs is even more exotic. I'm happy with the 6.5-06 AI or rather I'll be happy when it's done being built.

Dan

It is a definite for deer hunting. I wasn't sure if the farmer was just going to allow me to hunt coyotes, but gave me the OK for deer. I was able to drive around the farm and use a range finder. There could be shots to 1300+yds!( I cant wait to shoot at some plates) Would the 280 Ackley or Gibbs with the 180gr VLD be a better at long-range performer for deer? I still would like to use an 06-size case or do I need someting different, 7mm SAUM?

Thanks for all of the info.

Man, 1300 yds is a long way. I think those guys shooting the .338 Edge would be pushing it at that distance. But practice is key of course.

A 6.5 caliber anything has a very high BC, but so do any of the Heavyweights of any given caliber. Brian Litz has written a very good article on it. I'd link it if'n I knew how, but it's on the Home page of the site. Called "What's wrong with 30 Cal,". He has conceded that it was in the spirit of target shooting, but in the discussion thread, the hunting aspect of the bullet caliber and wight are addressed.

The 7mm caliber is also a good bullet for longrange hunting, but remember that the heavier the bullet the more powder it takes to deliver it to the target. Therefore recoil increases with bullet choices. I don't have a .280 AI or Gibbs, I do have a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero and it doesn't like the heavy bullets (I'm still working on that, It may be a lost war but I keep fighting that same battle...) But it likes a 150g bullet and is very well suited for out to 1000yds, but I don't have a scope good enough for that distance yet, so it's unproven.

I do have a custom .30-06 AI it's a Rem 700 BDL (was an ADL) with a 26" Kreiger bbl and Timney trigger with a Fajien Laminate stock on aluminum Pillars. It's wearing a 4.5-14x42mm Leupold Mk4 Precision rifle target scope, and the farthest I've taken a deer with it was 489yds. I can't immagine shooting much past that. Still there are guys here that have ethicly and cleanly taken deer and elk Waaaaayyyyyy past that. :)

I guess that it's ultimately what you want. But making this decision is certainly part of the fun of shooting and getting into Wildcats and custom rifles. :D I know that I really have a lot of fun with this stuff too.

Dan

Dan,
I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I was looking for, but know that I actually have to choose one it is certainly more difficult than I thought……lol.

I could have a few more different guns built and try each caliber but I would rather get as close to my objective as possible. I totally agree with you and I will have plenty of opportunity to practice punching paper and shooting metal plates to the 1300yd mark. In the past I have had great success/fun shooting 6" metal plates to 600yds. My two favorite combinations are, a custom .308 Rem 700 BP action and .223 Savage 112. BVSS-S using the 168grHPBT Serria's and 75gr A-MAX bullets. I tried to stay away from the magnum-sized cases and I have never felt the need to upgrade or improve on their performance until now. For this 1300yd long-range plate busting/hunting I want to shoot a higher B.C bullet to the 3000+fps range to take advantage of its benefits and the 7mm SAUM sure looks good with an 180gr VLD!

Again Dan, the fun of "choosing" is coming to an end and the pressure of committing is starting to take its toll…..lol

Take care

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.