25-06 Ackley Improved

Ok he has used 6.5 staball, varget, but favorite is RL19.
He shoots more 25 than anyone I know and it shoots well so I would think he's a good grasp so any of those should work.

FULL disclosure - I cant stand load development. For me, it is a huge waste of time and frustrating. Loading a couple of bullets and driving to the range, setting up everything to only shoot a handfull of times, only to find out you could shoot 2 more grains ...... it is all not fun for me
Back in the old days we would look in the reloading manuals and pick a powder based on the velocity we were wanting. There's no reason to only load a couple bullets. I usually load 3 at a lower charge and bump up a grain and load 3 and bump up a grain and load 3 until close to or at max. Yes you'll have to fine tune it but you can get it close in one outing. Start with your lowest charge and work on up. 15-21 shots for one outing!

Been shooting mine for many a year now Parker A did my 25-06 AI back sometime in early 60's using 30-06 LC Match brass & 4831 powder & Nosler / Sierra bullets 110-to 117 gr back then if my memory serves me .

Ackley's use of H-4831 was typical of the time period because it was widely available and reasonably cheap. It got used even when it wasn't necessarily the best choice!;) It will still provide good loads when the standard cup and core bullets are used.

Currently, Berger has supplied us with the 133 and 135 grain VLDs in Hunter and Target form. I was using the 131 Blackjack until the pipeline dried up a couple of years ago. Sierra is the manufacturer for Blackjack but obviously their concerns are for their own bullets rather than supply a secondary seller. Too bad really since the Blackjack is a superb design.

I have concentrated on Re-25/26 for the Bergers with excellent performance.

Remember, measure the case capacity of the brass you intend to use. There is a variance in the capacity of different manufacturers. Data from those of us answering this question may not be the same as others.

The 25 AI only comes close to the bee if using 26" and under barrels in my opinion.
It's very efficient for sure but more powder with more time to burn is gonna win.
My good friend shoots that round extensively for all his hunting let me check with him and see?
please and thank you!

H1000 got me 3350 FPS with a 115 Berger. 7828 gave good speed as well, but pressure would spike at weird time's. 25-06 AI is a great round. Barrel was a 26" Kreiger.

Need to remember not all have a chrono, some need to borrow others etc. For the longest time I ran without a chrono and used a chrono when my buddy went to the range at same time. I finally got myself a Lab unit and love it ! And am still using LC 60's National Match 30-06 brass still have from when gun was built compliments of Parker Ackley who built my gun. Along with 4831 powder

Last edited:

Recent Posts