30-06 Ackley Improved-2023

I wouldn't pay anything to change what I have.

But I think that's because I guess I don't view it this way - with barrels being commonly available and easy to source, it's not a choice of improving what I have but rather choosing something improved to start with at no extra cost. All else being equal the benefits of the AI design are worth the drawbacks of choosing it over the standard design.

I've never improved an existing chamber, it's always been fresh blanks getting cut. So I don't see a reason to NOT get the 100FPS because it's no extra cost.
preach-can-i-get-an-amen-will-ferrell-ai9tnpleabvcsl6s.gif

I have tried H-450,H-4831 SC but the current 4350 series like AA 4350 and IMR 4350 produce the highest
SAFE velocities, while delivering excellent accuracy with 180 or 200 gr Nosler Partition bullets. H-450
will work, but both accuracy and velocity were not impressive in my rifle. Both IMR 4831 and IMR 4350
produced the best velocity and accuracy. With 180 gr Noslers, velocity reached approximately 2950 FPS
using both IMR 4350 and IMR 4831... and those results with a 22
You should really try RL23. I got 2964 from a 175 OTM in a SAAMI .30-06 Spr and was 1.4gr off max.

B
On display in our PA camp are a Grizzly, a bull Moose, and a Dall sheep.
All shot by my father in 1952 while on a 30 day Yukon hunt.
The 30 day guided hunt by the way cost each hunter $1500.
About the same price as a new Chevy in 1952.
Two other hunters on the trip also shot the same animals.
All the animals were shot including the sheep, at distances that didnt exceed about 100 yards.
All 3 hunters used the 30/06 cartridge.
My fathers animals were all killed with one shot from the 30/06 using a 180 gr. round nose Hornady bullet, loaded with 50 gr of 3031.
So my question would be, if were going to be hunting with an 06 at close range, why do we need it to be an AI version?

My guess would also be that if the 300 Win Mag were available in 1952, my father and his friends would have probably all had them.
because the case just looks wayyy cooler with less body taper and sharper shoulder!!

Etter in his M-700 used H-205 and IMR 4350 to achieve velocities of 2994 and 2932 FPS with 180 gr Nosler partition bullets. Those velocities are around an extra 175 FPS chronographed out of his 22 in barrel, and his results were chronographed for reliable repeatability, using F 210M-magnum primers. That is closer to 175 FPS over most 30-06 factory ammunition, which is still loaded to lower velocities because of older 1895 Winchesters and other less strong rifles still chambered in 30-06 Springfield. And, his best accuracy came with those
warm IMR 4350 loadings. Handloader Magazine under Wolfe Publications in Prescott, AZ. tend to monitor published data, so as to insure safe reloading data for its readers.
Today's factory loads are still reduced for the same reasons, which tends to support judicious handloads in this cartridge.
That being said, a 24-in barreled pre-64 M-70 or other modern 30-06 rifle could be handloaded easily beyond
factory velocities with modern powders, but probably not to those attained by Etter's M-700 or my longer barreled Mauser. So this Mauser will work for either long or short range elk or caribou, and with 200 gr Swift or Nosler bullets could tackle a big grizzly outside Yellowstone or Alaska.

But as stated earlier, each rifle is a law unto itself as to velocities obtained. I cannot answer whether I would start out with a 30-06 Ack Improved, but having one fall into my gun safe through a good trade insures that I will be using it for
quite awhile. Probably will not be shooting it to levels of a 300 Weatherby, but my barrel bore will probably last longer than any Weatherby.