6-250 brass prep

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well, I decided to go ahead and do the 6-250. Now, how in the heck to I go about prepping the brass. I've got 400 rounds of WW 22-250.

Do I neck up, trim, neck turn (dammit Lerch, it's your fault I want to do this now) and then sort my brass? I'm open for suggestions on the order of operations here as I really have absolutly no idea.

PS-Before you guys jump on me about not needing to neck turn and the quality of brass I'm using, let me say this: I have an unlimited supply of the WW bras which I can buy very cheap and figure this round would be and excellent "guinea pig" for neck turning. I'd much rather learn on this cheap stuff than chew up a few .338 Lapua cases (whoops did I say that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif).

Well I am just glad you stopped crying about which **** shell to chamber your gun in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think GG is gonna email me some stuff about trueing up the necks on brass.

steve

Alright, I've done some homework and now know what I need to do. I've been @ home doing the daddy daycare thing all afternoon and evening so I've gotten a little work on the cases done.

I deburred the flash holes and necked up 400 WW 22-250 cases. I just lubed the inside of the necks w/OneShot and ran them over a carbide expander in one of my old .243 dies. I lost a few due to necks being so banged up to start w/and **** poor quality control by Winchester. Here are some of the results.

6-250007.jpg

6-250006.jpg

I was suprised that there was as noticable of difference between the sized 6-250 brass and the 22-250. but it is easily noticable from all angles.

6-250008.jpg

Almost 400 rounds of 6-250 brass. How am I going to get the lid on it!!

6-250003.jpg

.243 Win 105 Amax on left; 6-250 w/105 Amax then 95 VLD Berger then 107 SMK. All bullets are seated so the base is right @ or close to the shoulder/body junction. I have no plan to shoot moly in my 6-250, but I did shoot it in my .243. Just using some leftovers to get an idea of what I'm going to have.

6-250001.jpg

How did that get in here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!!! Couldn't get the camera out and not take her picture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Now I just have to wait for my die so I can continue the monotonous task.

Bill,
Just something to consider, what are the dimensions of your reamer??? 22-250 Winchester brass is .005" smaller in the web area than Federal or Norma and can cause an unsightly belly-out, if the chamber is tight enough then it is no big deal but something to think about before you prep 400 cases.
UB
p.s.cute little girl

[ QUOTE ]
22-250 Winchester brass is .005" smaller in the web area than Federal or Norma and can cause an unsightly belly-out

[/ QUOTE ]

Will this effect the performance? Unsightly won't bother me if it shoots.

If youre doing all the prep now, you might consider necking up to 257 and setting these up to fireform with a false shoulder. Less chance of head seperation... especially if you do get that little bit of bulge at the web from the smaller base diameter on the case... Sorry can't call it belly out... makes me think of beer belly, and I can't have cases with beer bellys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.