500 Yard+ elk kills

Shot a bull this year at 542 yards. With my Cooper Phoenix 6.5x284 with Berger 140 vld. First shot was right behind the shoulder at impact you could tell he was hurt he went about 3 yards but still standing so I sent another this time in the high shoulder went right down. First year using this combo the vitals got destroyed im very happy with the results. And very little meat loss.
krake22002,
Nice shot! How far would you feel comfortable shooting an elk with that combo?

Thank you. This was my first year getting into longrange hunting . I practice out to 900 yards accurately .But 650 yards was my comfort zone. for elk This year If everything came together right. I know 542 yard is not longrange to alot of people on this forum. But man it was a rush . Im hooked

I hear ya, this season was also my first season LR hunting, my farthest kills this season were 486 yards on two antelope does. Not LR to most on here. Im hooked also, building another LR rig as we speak.

1104 yrds with 300 otm berger from 338 lapua mag.. brother made the shot last yr with my rifle.. bull went rite down.. no meat loss as the bullet hit the spine and sent him straight to th ground.. spine was mush it was very impressive for that bullet to do that kind of damage at that range. my velocity is 2750 out of the muzzle. that was a rush!! oh combo was fed 215 match primer h1000 and lapua brass with the 300 grain otm hybrid

I have been looking into getting another rifle. But not sure what to get. Thinking about one of the 7's or and 300. But kinda want a 338 edge, lapua . What are you having built.

My longest bull still remains 865 with my 270 WSM and 165 Matrix, first shot thrashed his liver and back of the of side lung, I could see the hit and it almost knocked him down but he humped up and tried to walk a couple steps then started wobbling around and was dead but not pointing in a nice direction so I put the second one low through the shoulder breaking the bone to splinters, blowing through his chest and exiting just in front of the of side shoulder bone which flattened him. Both bullet exited and did a good thrashing on the way through.
A few elk right at the 500ish mark but nothing real dramatic, one shot in the crease behind the shoulder at mid line and they spin and may make it a few steps then they tip over.
Riley, I posted the hunt for this years bull on the shoulder shooting thread, didn't want to muck up your thread but it illustrates shot placement very well in comparison to your diagrams.

1104 yrds with 300 otm berger from 338 lapua mag.. brother made the shot last yr with my rifle.. bull went rite down.. no meat loss as the bullet hit the spine and sent him straight to th ground.. spine was mush it was very impressive for that bullet to do that kind of damage at that range. my velocity is 2750 out of the muzzle. that was a rush!! oh combo was fed 215 match primer h1000 and lapua brass with the 300 grain otm hybrid
Awesome shot, thanks for sharing.

I have been looking into getting another rifle. But not sure what to get. Thinking about one of the 7's or and 300. But kinda want a 338 edge, lapua . What are you having built.
I am building a 284 win, i will limit it too 600 for elk and probably 1k on antelope and deer depending on how she shoots. Coyotes, sod poodles, and rock as far as i can dial :D. gun)

My longest bull still remains 865 with my 270 WSM and 165 Matrix, first shot thrashed his liver and back of the of side lung, I could see the hit and it almost knocked him down but he humped up and tried to walk a couple steps then started wobbling around and was dead but not pointing in a nice direction so I put the second one low through the shoulder breaking the bone to splinters, blowing through his chest and exiting just in front of the of side shoulder bone which flattened him. Both bullet exited and did a good thrashing on the way through.
A few elk right at the 500ish mark but nothing real dramatic, one shot in the crease behind the shoulder at mid line and they spin and may make it a few steps then they tip over.
Riley, I posted the hunt for this years bull on the shoulder shooting thread, didn't want to muck up your thread but it illustrates shot placement very well in comparison to your diagrams.
Thanks Rhian, i will go check out that thread. Great shot with that 270 WSM, although as you know it aint good for anything bigger than a texas whitetail :D.

270 WSM, Jack had it almost right...........

P.S. i saved the shoulder blades from my cow to test bullets with.

Elk 596 yards behind left shoulder between the ribs pass-thru taking out a rib on off side.
Muley 545 yards heart shot, was in 12" of snow and it looked like an airless paint sprayer had been there ....
338 WM 225 AB 2925 FPS
Bought a 338 RUM and set it up shootin 8" plate at 800 yd, openin morning this year killed mine going up thru the timber at 18 yards...... but the 225 SST @ 3225 FPS did perform well.

Elk 596 yards behind left shoulder between the ribs pass-thru taking out a rib on off side.
Muley 545 yards heart shot, was in 12" of snow and it looked like an airless paint sprayer had been there ....
338 WM 225 AB 2925 FPS
Bought a 338 RUM and set it up shootin 8" plate at 800 yd, openin morning this year killed mine going up thru the timber at 18 yards...... but the 225 SST @ 3225 FPS did perform well.
Nice shooting! I have heard some great things about the 225 grain Accubomb at LR. I am surprised the sst didnt blow up, i have heard the sst's were pretty fragile.

yea I heard that too. My winmag shoots the ABs great, the RUM doesn't like em at all. The shot this year happened so fast, my first thought was look for how bad it exploded ! I don't think any other bullet would have done any better. Steep angle coming down to me almost head on,cleared a spruce and I caught it in left side of the neck/brisket and exit was right side last rib just outside the backstrap. It punched a hole about golf-ball size exit, the boiler room was destroyed. At 3225 FPS @ 12ft from the muzzle, I know the measured 53 ft did not have much loss of velocity.:D
So in spite of the internet , I'm gonna keep shootin' the SSTs.gun)

yea I heard that too. My winmag shoots the ABs great, the RUM doesn't like em at all. The shot this year happened so fast, my first thought was look for how bad it exploded ! I don't think any other bullet would have done any better. Steep angle coming down to me almost head on,cleared a spruce and I caught it in left side of the neck/brisket and exit was right side last rib just outside the backstrap. It punched a hole about golf-ball size exit, the boiler room was destroyed. At 3225 FPS @ 12ft from the muzzle, I know the measured 53 ft did not have much loss of velocity.:D
So in spite of the internet , I'm gonna keep shootin' the SSTs.gun)
Im surprised it even exited! Maybe their .338 SST's are built a little tougher? I would bet so.

Longest kill 1750 yards cow elk. 338 Allen Mag 300 grain Sierra Match King. 3290 fps bullet impact was a spine shot just behind the front shoulder. Animal dropped in its tracks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.