500 Yard+ elk kills

Longest kill 1750 yards cow elk. 338 Allen Mag 300 grain Sierra Match King. 3290 fps bullet impact was a spine shot just behind the front shoulder. Animal dropped in its tracks.
bow_down_before_you-960.gif
That is amazing!! Thank you very much for sharing!! The bullet had to be subsonic by then? Or very close, correct?

I shot a cow at about 512-515 yards with a 270WSM.

150g Nosler Partition at 3100,dropped in its tracks with a shoulder spine hit, bullet in off shoulder did not exit. 15 minutes later it raised its head and received and coup de grace in the neck at the same yardage.

I shot a cow at about 512-515 yards with a 270WSM.

150g Nosler Partition at 3100,dropped in its tracks with a shoulder spine hit, bullet in off shoulder did not exit. 15 minutes later it raised its head and received and coup de grace in the neck at the same yardage.
Good shootin, thanks for sharing. Seems neck shots put a wounded animal down pretty well.

Shot a bull at 550 with the 300 smk from an edge. He was quartering away and turned slightly and looked back over his shoulder. I put it right in his shoulder and he dropped. The bullet did not exit and what Amazed me was his eyes were really bulged out from soaking up all the energy. I have seen that happen quite a bit on predators but never imagined it on an animal that big. The big guns are definitely impressive.

Shot a bull at 550 with the 300 smk from an edge. He was quartering away and turned slightly and looked back over his shoulder. I put it right in his shoulder and he dropped. The bullet did not exit and what Amazed me was his eyes were really bulged out from soaking up all the energy. I have seen that happen quite a bit on predators but never imagined it on an animal that big. The big guns are definitely impressive.
Nice shot, Thanks for sharing. I hear ya on the 338 power, even at 1820 yards we were getting 1'-2' dust puffs off rocks, and blowing the watermelon sized rocks in half at 750 yards, not just dusting them. Probably 5 years ago i shot a rabbit at about 5 yards right in the back of the head with my 22 lr. and both of his eye's blew out of their sockets, needless to say he didnt even flinch.

My second elk this season was shot at 517 yds with my Sako .338 Lapua, 300 grain Nosler Accubond - 2710 fps at the muzzle, 2214 at point of impact (3266 ft-lb). It was almost exactly broad side - bullet went in about 2 inches behind the heart - did not hit a rib on the way in, but destroyed 2 ribs on the way out. You could almost put your fist into the exit wound. The elk took about four walking steps after it was hit, then just fell over.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I have been wondering how those 300 grain accubonds have been working out for people. What did you come up for a BC on those?

Here is my 2011 Idaho bull... the wolves haven't eaten them all.
Range: 975 yrds
Wind: dead calm
Rifle : HS Precision 300WSM
Bullet: Handload 180 gr. Barns TTSX, RL 17 3050 muzzle velocity
Optics: Nightforce NXS 5.5-22
Rest: prone on a flat rock with a Harris bipod

The bull was broadside and unaware on the opposite side of a canyon. I had coached myself to limit a shot to 600 yards.... even though I had practiced a lot, taken courses and was confident.... but still. When he started to move towards the timber, I changed my mind and took the shot. The bullet struck the humerus(below the shoulder blade) bone and broke it. The bull stumbled downhill and came to rest at 740 yards. He was lying down preventing a second body shot. A neck shot finished him.
I have now worked up a great load for the 200 gr LRX.

Attachments

• DSC00706.jpg
    DSC00706.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1872.jpg
    IMG_1872.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 88
regularjoe - nice bull!!

My first 'long range' bull was in the fall of 2011 in Eastern Oregon. Had built a .300Win Mag on a Winchester M70 that I had with a 26" Rock barrel and a Dagley brake earlier that spring. Shooting Nosler 200g Accubonds (RL22 and Fed 215M's) right at 3050fps had lots of practice out to 1000 yards.

After a long stalk, I found myself 585 yards from the bedded 6x7 bull. I had to wait about 45 minutes for him to eventually stand up and when he did, he absorbed one in the boiler room, staggered and turned around and took another one from the opposite side. He was dead on his feet after the first one but wasn't going to risk him running any further down into the hellhole he was already in.

Impact velocity was likely around 2100 fps. One went all the way through and one was recovered under the off side hide. It has mushroomed perfectly and weighed in (if I remember correctly) at 165g.

regularjoe - nice bull!!

My first 'long range' bull was in the fall of 2011 in Eastern Oregon. Had built a .300Win Mag on a Winchester M70 that I had with a 26" Rock barrel and a Dagley brake earlier that spring. Shooting Nosler 200g Accubonds (RL22 and Fed 215M's) right at 3050fps had lots of practice out to 1000 yards.

After a long stalk, I found myself 585 yards from the bedded 6x7 bull. I had to wait about 45 minutes for him to eventually stand up and when he did, he absorbed one in the boiler room, staggered and turned around and took another one from the opposite side. He was dead on his feet after the first one but wasn't going to risk him running any further down into the hellhole he was already in.

Impact velocity was likely around 2100 fps. One went all the way through and one was recovered under the off side hide. It has mushroomed perfectly and weighed in (if I remember correctly) at 165g.

Thats sounds like a perfect LR scenerio! I'm heading back to Hells Canyon this fall to look for my last bulls big brother!

Freakin dandy joe.... dandy.. wish i could.find.one that wide!!! Good shootin also

Kasey

Ps.. whats ur.load data :)

I have been able to pull the trigger on quite a few bulls, 5 of those were from 575 to 1305. 2 of those were with a 7 mag and 168 bergers, one at 575 was a front shoulder shot and DRT, the other was at 1030 and it was slightly quartering away. I figured bullet impact was 1865 fps and 1297 ft/lbs. I included a photo of the bullets from that bull. Both were against the far shoulder. The other 3 were shot with 300 OTM's from an EDGE and the results were everything you would hope for in a bullet. all 3 were broadside or quartering away. the bull at 1305 was broadside, it hit him in the shoulder and he died like he got hit at 50 yds, the impact was 1720 fps and 1973 ft/lbs.

SAM_0036.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.