730 yard elk

daveyj

This years elk hunt took place in temps from 12-35degress and around 12-18inches of snow. This is considered a bit mild for us. The weather made access easier but seemed to make locating the elk more difficult. After 4 days of long range spotting we moved in under the cover of darkness and by morning had set up a position on top of a high knob. I had a 360 view of the surrounding area and long range shots in any direction. I had spotted elk that morning cross canyon about 2.5 miles and relocated them in the same area in the evening by spotting scope.

Just before dark a small herd began to filter out below me into an open area next to the stream. Three trys on the laser confirmed 731 yards. I dialled for 725, checked temperature 19deg, and compared barometric to std for 8300ft. Running out of time and motivation, I decided it was a snap shot with zero wind. I got into the prone on the Thermarest, bipod extended and let a slow sqeeze from the .300 win.

600-700 yards is usually where I can come out of recoil and see the shot, and I did. The elk went down and rolled about 30 yards to the place where it would it expire. I was nearly 20 minutes hiking to the animal and daylight was all but gone once I had arrived. Inspection upon arrival indicated that I was a few inches of my point of aim and I remembered that I did not dial for slope. Other than that the Sierra bullet had no problems entering and killing yet another elk.

I was hoping nobody would ask! It was late in the hunt, so I took a cow. I figured it was metion worthy just cause I do not get a shot like that on an elk very often. I looked for some pics but cant seem to find them at the moment. If I do, I will post them.

Hey, as long as it's a legal hunt there's nothing wrong with taking a cow. I think the best eating comes from a cow anyway. I don't hunt horns only anymore so a cow in the hand is worth a whole lot of bulls in the bush.:)

730 yards is a long poke at anything and it sounds like you pulled it off just fine. Congratulations of a great hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.