420 Yard Elk

Clint Tyler

Went out friday morning (My B-Day) looking for a cow elk to shoot. I was hoping to find one at least 600 yards away but while walking to my glassing spot I ran into the small herd I have been watching the last cuple weeks. they were a lot lower than usual and I couldn't pass on the oppertunity. I quickly ranged them at 420 Yards and got set up for the shot. I dialed the Leupold for 4.2 MOA and put it right behind the shoulder of a slightly quartering away cow and touched it off. I didn't hear the bullet hit and the elk was still standing there so I sent another on its way with the same result. As I was chambering the next round she took two steps behind a little tree and out of sight. I gave it 20 Min and packed up my stuff and went to look for signs of a hit. When I got up there she was dead right behind that tree with two holes about 2.5 inches apart right behind the shoulder. I was shooting a Remington 700 SPS Stainless and 180 gr Accubond Handloads going 3036 fps. I did recover one of the bullets in the offside shoulder and it was a perfect accubond mushroom.

Elk2.jpg

horse1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good shooting! Those elk are big animals. The other day we were carrying out the meat from a red deer and talking about how big elk were and why horses were a good idea. Your photos just confirm our thoughts.

Stu.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts