1036 yard elk kill

Neither of you know my actual opinion on it because it's my personal opinion and from the facts as related in the video I can't support it on a public forum so it does ZERO good to put it out there. Deal with the facts, he made a clean kill, he packed all the meat of the mountain, what else can you come up with.

My whole point is our reaction to something sets the bar for others interpreting it, some guys have watch videos of guys cleanly taking elk at 600 yards and they have interpreted it as they just sniped an elk from the road so all of you are bad guys with no ethics, do you realize that on social media right now you as members of LongRangeHunting are being judged just by that as unethical slobs, just because someone in power has interpreted how you hunt based on affiliation without the fact of how you hunt. How can we expect others to give US the benefit of the doubt that we actually hunt when we won't give anyone else the benefit of judging them publicly on the facts regardless of our personal bias.

Bigngreen. I hear you. You do make a very valid point. Just like anybody that posts a video has to be careful, we all have to be just as careful with our posts as well.

We're all part of the same team here.... I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

Bigngreen. I hear you. You do make a very valid point. Just like anybody that posts a video has to be careful, we all have to be just as careful with our posts as well.

We're all part of the same team here.... I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

Yes, we are all a part of the same team and that means that we should keep our house in order when we see anything that is not the norm. This video shows the bull going down late in the evening and the video continues the next morning with the explanation that it was right where it went down at the shot. Say what you want to, but that means they should not have taken the shot that late in rough country where there was any doubt that they couldn't do a proper recovery. A proper recovery on an elk means immediately, if not sooner, due to the high possibility of souring or outright spoilage on an animal that size. To do otherwise shows disrespect for the animal and hunting as a whole IMHO! In conclusion, if you're going to put something out like that for everyone to see, then you should have all your ducks in order to avoid any speculation and/or doubt that proper practices were followed.

Bigngreen, maybe we are on the same side of this despite how you have portrayed yourself. You won't say, so I will give you the benifit of the doubt.
Your tactic is less than productive. If our sport cleans our own house and WE set the bar where it should be, it shows the public what we tolerate. The whole point to this is that we don't condone, or tolerate poor hunting ethics. I wish I could just be happily ignorant to how they recovered the elk and the one single piece of meat portrayed to get packed out. Not knowing would have made me think, "Good job buddy, awesome shot!" But despite how good the shot was it is overshadowed by failing to take responsibility and follow through. As long range hunters (or any hunter, archery included), we need to set the bar for our fellow hunters. We don't need big brother stepping in because we pat a guy on the back when he fails to be responsible. I say call him out. I will turn in anybody for breaking the law. And I have. What other method holds our toes to the fire to be honest and ethical? Big brother? The only time we need to do what's right is if the wrong people see it? As long as we can get away with it and nobody knows it's okay? No thanks, that's how we ask for more rules plain and simple. I have seen this in other sports, it's sad for sure.

I watched the video again and I think I probably jumped to the wrong conclusion after watching it the first time, probably because this guy just kind of rubbed me the wrong way at first. After the second time watching the video I can't say that the guy didn't anything wrong considering the circumstances.

I watched the video again and I think I probably jumped to the wrong conclusion after watching it the first time, probably because this guy just kind of rubbed me the wrong way at first. After the second time watching the video I can't say that the guy didn't anything wrong considering the circumstances.

The circumstances are exactly what we are talking about and, Sir, he had full control over them and chose to shoot anyway! When he chose to kill that bull under those circumstance he put it upon himself to properly follow up and take care of the animal. He stated the animal had not moved from where it went down at the shot, which in my book if they knew what they were doing or cared about proper recovery it wouldn't have been the next morning when they went back. I'd bet that a certain percentage of the meat was soured or spoiled, regardless of whether they showed themselves packing it out like they did.

According to the video they looked for him, into the night, obviously he was having a hard enough time finding it he though it would be best to walk all the way out and get more help. He's 3 miles in, so in 24 hrs he's put 12 miles on with that bull minimum, it does not look likes he's strolling through prairie land either, he put some serious work into that bull and he had buddies who put serious work in there with him. He OBVIOUSLY had full intent on recovering that bull that night cause he walked up there and looked for him, we can't look into the future!!
If you've never been in a place or situation where going out and getting more help is the best move, great for you, count your blessings cause it sucks to give up and leave an animal and get more help but in the best interest of the animal sometimes that's the call!

According to the video they looked for him, into the night, obviously he was having a hard enough time finding it he though it would be best to walk all the way out and get more help. He's 3 miles in, so in 24 hrs he's put 12 miles on with that bull minimum, it does not look likes he's strolling through prairie land either, he put some serious work into that bull and he had buddies who put serious work in there with him. He OBVIOUSLY had full intent on recovering that bull that night cause he walked up there and looked for him, we can't look into the future!!
If you've never been in a place or situation where going out and getting more help is the best move, great for you, count your blessings cause it sucks to give up and leave an animal and get more help but in the best interest of the animal sometimes that's the call!

In the best interest of the animal, LOL! In the best interest of the animal I would submit that he shouldn't have shot it! He stated right out on the video that he killed him at last light. You're now putting way too much into your defense of the guy because nothing was obvious other than the two good shots he made on it! In print it said they were going up to find him and couldn't because it got dark. We have no idea if he spent 5 minutes or 5 hours on that. Yep, he put some serious time and miles in and so have I in the 20+ years I've hunted in Wyoming and it also wasn't out in the prairie. Cripes, just this year a friend shot this one right at last light at 590 across a deep canyon two miles from the truck. It took until after 9PM to go over to find and dress him out properly so he would cool over night. Then we went back the next morning and the two of us brought the first load out up and down that canyon and then up hill 2 miles all the way to the truck. We then got two more friends and went back for the second load and got it all out at 5:30PM that night. That was at least 8+ miles for me and I'm 67 for Pete's sake! That's exactly why I'm saying they shouldn't have shot it if they had to go through that God forsaken jungle that he commented on saying his buddies didn't know what they were getting into! Go ahead and defend him all you want, but the only good comment I can give is on the shots themselves.

Attachments

• Bull 2014.jpg
    Bull 2014.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 93
I know guys who would call you every name in the book for not taking that bull out that night in the dark, it would not matter to them that you gutted it or not, you did not take it out immediately and get the hide of your a slob according to them. They'd look at you no different than your looking at this guy, that's from their perspective and if they came on here and ragged on you I'd be say the same exact thing!! There are areas here if you don't pack it out THAT night you won't have much left in the morning and you would have wasted the whole animal, if you get a snow storm come in and it lays down a 8 inches or so your elk is done more than likely.
My personal opinion is if you didn't quarter and hang the meat you ran the same risk of loosing it as this guy but I'm not going to call you a slob because your didn't because you got back in there and got it!!

There's always someone who will work hard, do it better and feel more ethical than you or me so if we want to judge this based on what we think should have happened not based on what happened then your open to be judged by other with higher standards yet. We can create a police state were NONE of us meet the standard if were going to set the standard based on feelings or beliefs. I much prefer to have someone judge me based on facts, was I hunting legal, did I cleanly kill the animal, did I recover the meat!!

Its an indefensible position to take. In our hunting grounds we have designated no kill zones just because of the recovery is so much work. My elk this year was shot around 10am in one of those places. Took me 5 hours to pack out the elk 220 yards to a landing I could get my horses into. The bull I shot was happy as a lark where he was. I spotted him the night before and originally passed him up for my initial morning hunt. Both my elk and the one in the video would have been there the next morning. With all the camera equipment and website surrounding this it appears to just be a horn hunting video expedition. I have zero problem with any part EXCEPT the lack of feild dressing the animal imediately after the shot. Just the fact that the video was published tells me it was more important to receive recognition for a great shot than harvesting the meat. We can disagree all day every day. My point is be responsible and make an ethical harvest. We all run the risk of loosing an animal we have wounded, its gonna happen if we do this long enough. But to condone this sets the bar pretty low. If the shooter wanted to explain himself what ACTUALLY happened maybe things would be more clear. But he is silent, or unaware of this thread.
Just to be clear where I set my bar please understand 3 years ago I saddled up my horse 30 minutes after complete darkness to go assist my brother feild dress his bull a mile and a half from camp. He finally located it, gave coordinates and directions, and off I went. My hunting grounds are just as bad or worse than the video portrays (steeper) and this is just part of pulling the trigger. Someone else can expect less, okay, thats their choice. As far as me and my kids, we will set the bar high.

Side note: My brother will never live down that bull. From shot placement to tracking and after dark feild dressing, and location to recover, it was bad all around. Even my brother would not get a pass on this, he didnt 3 years ago, and he took care of it properly. Maybe I expect too much. Maybe its what should be expected.

I know guys who would call you every name in the book for not taking that bull out that night in the dark, it would not matter to them that you gutted it or not, you did not take it out immediately and get the hide of your a slob according to them. They'd look at you no different than your looking at this guy, that's from their perspective and if they came on here and ragged on you I'd be say the same exact thing!! There are areas here if you don't pack it out THAT night you won't have much left in the morning and you would have wasted the whole animal, if you get a snow storm come in and it lays down a 8 inches or so your elk is done more than likely.
My personal opinion is if you didn't quarter and hang the meat you ran the same risk of loosing it as this guy but I'm not going to call you a slob because your didn't because you got back in there and got it!!

There's always someone who will work hard, do it better and feel more ethical than you or me so if we want to judge this based on what we think should have happened not based on what happened then your open to be judged by other with higher standards yet. We can create a police state were NONE of us meet the standard if were going to set the standard based on feelings or beliefs. I much prefer to have someone judge me based on facts, was I hunting legal, did I cleanly kill the animal, did I recover the meat!!

Now who is making a big rant and a lot of assumptions when he doesn't have any idea what he's talking about? You, that's who! You have no idea what we did with that bull when I made my post about dressing it out. Why the heck do you think it took until 9PM to get the job done? Answer, because doing as you stated takes more than the couple minutes that it takes me to gut an animal out after doing well over 100 big game animals in my life. Field dressing him out properly like I stated in my post means more to some on an elk than just gutting it out, so take a flying leap! You obviously didn't comprehend anything when I said we went back and brought out the first load without me saying anything about quartering him then did you?! Nope, so I'll await for your apology, as you're doing the exact same thing you so vehemently have accused us of! Read my post #22 about "proper" and if you think I'd then post up this last one you're harping about and not do what I stressed needs to be done, then I don't know what else to say other than "Good Grief!"
PS: I still think your tag line about stuck in a fence sucks!!!

Last edited:
Now who is making a big rant and a lot of assumptions when he doesn't have any idea what he's talking about? You, that's who! You have no idea what we did with that bull when I made my post about dressing it out. Why the heck do you think it took until 9PM to get the job done? Answer, because doing as you stated takes more than the couple minutes that it takes me to gut an animal out after doing well over 100 big game animals in my life. Field dressing him out properly like I stated in my post means more to some on an elk than just gutting it out, so take a flying leap! You obviously didn't comprehend anything when I said we went back and brought out the first load without me saying anything about quartering him then did you?! Nope, so I'll await for your apology, as you're doing the exact same thing you so vehemently have accused us of! Read my post #22 about "proper" and if you think I'd then post up this last one you're harping about and not do what I stressed needs to be done, then I don't know what else to say other than "Good Grief!"
PS: I still think your tag line about stuck in a fence sucks!!!

Well if you look at my tag line you'll see that JUST for YOU I changed it!!

I find it odd that all of the sudden jumping to assumptions got you all butt hurt, I just read into what it sound like happened and passed judgement but I had no idea what you actually did, sound familiar lightbulb
Your just weighing everyone else against your personally experience, does that not open the door for someone with much more experience to weigh YOU against their experience?
I've cut over 2000 head of elk, would it be fair of me to judge you based on how long it took you to get that bull processed, not in the least, I judge it on IF you got the meat out or not so great job!!

The head of State lands in my area is a hardcore hunting machine, I've heard him rant about how horses and 4 wheelers in the same sentence, unfortunately he's judging everyone else based on his personal experience and even worse he's got power. He wants nothing more than to get horses kicked of public land, that's how dangerous judging everyone else against anything other than simple facts!!!

Well if you look at my tag line you'll see that JUST for YOU I changed it!!

I find it odd that all of the sudden jumping to assumptions got you all butt hurt, I just read into what it sound like happened and passed judgement but I had no idea what you actually did, sound familiar lightbulb
Your just weighing everyone else against your personally experience, does that not open the door for someone with much more experience to weigh YOU against their experience?
I've cut over 2000 head of elk, would it be fair of me to judge you based on how long it took you to get that bull processed, not in the least, I judge it on IF you got the meat out or not so great job!!

The head of State lands in my area is a hardcore hunting machine, I've heard him rant about how horses and 4 wheelers in the same sentence, unfortunately he's judging everyone else based on his personal experience and even worse he's got power. He wants nothing more than to get horses kicked of public land, that's how dangerous judging everyone else against anything other than simple facts!!!

You can turn off the light bulb because I already told you what you had done, Duh! You weren't making any assumptions when you made all your statements about how we didn't take care of it properly. You flat cut me down like you knew all the facts. We understand where you're coming from and disagree on this particular situation based on what we saw in print and what the guy stated in the video. He had full control of the situation and had to have known based on his comments in the video that proper recovery that night was going to be very difficult, if not impossible. Have a good one and a Merry Christmas!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.