50 peacekeeper Rifle

dgr416

Has any one ever had 50 peacekeeper rifle.Its the 460 weatherby necked up to .50 cal to use 50 bmg bullets.I was thinking about building one of these rifles.Question is can the mag.be used cause those bullets are so long.I wanted to use a weatherby accumart action and stock if possible.If I used the amax bullets would I have room left for any powder.I heard it pushes the 750 gr bullet about 2400 fps.What barrel should I use.I want this for Alaska so stainless fluted barrel might be best.The rifle would have to have a brake and say a 28" barrel.I want to to be about 15 pounds without killing me to shoot it if possible.

Well, that's certainly an interesting choice; not one that comes up every day here, and we get some crazy **** from time to time.

Case capacity with VLD style bullets...you'll give up some, and yes, the magazine box will limit you. I don't know the exact amount, but I own a .460 WBY and the magazine box will hold, at most a shell that's probably 3.8" long or so. The other problem with the round is headspace; almost has to rely heavily on the belt. Those things aside, it would work, but I'd keep it to zero freebore, and a soft angle [say in the order of 1 degree, to 1.5 degree lead angle.] Awfully large bullets, going to be spendy, and for the range intended....? But what the hell, right? Keep in mind with a 28" .50 caliber barrel that's actually going to shoot worth a hill of beans, weight will be hard to keep at 15lbs. If I were asked for some input, I would recommend utilizing the .338 caliber--it's big enough to kill anything on this continent [and really anything anywhere with no %$&*-ups], brass supplies will be much more affordable [for what you'll spend on a lifetime of brass, you could damned-near buy a stock, or 2/3 the cost of a rangefinder, or.... But, if you're set of the 50 Peacekeeper, yes, it'll work, chambering will be the most critical aspect with regards to performance {if you have to, you can always use the weapon single-shot style}. I'd think about using bullets of 700 grains and lighter, perhaps even the 683gr military ball bullet--those choices will help keep velocity up, and chambering/magazine complications down.

That design really wasn't built for zipping speeds, it was designed for long-range use on armored convoys if I'm not mistaken; it's supposed to be more quiet than something like the big fifty, because it uses less powder, and fast burning powder {less muzzle preassure}. Hope that helps; maybe some more expertised fellows will hop in here, as I've not had one of these chambered before.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts