Pellet rifle for hunting rabbits and woodchucks to 50 yards?

Springers are more sensitive to differences in your "hold" than a PCP. Springers are fun in their own right but, a PCP is a better choice in almost all circumstances for most people and especially hunters. PCP's often cost more than a good rifle though so, most people buy the springers and then give up hunting with them.

Coop2564, I'm sorry to hear that. Fortunately, I've had good luck with the springers. Accurate AND powerful, for not a whole lot of money. No air tank to buy. No 'pump' to use. They are just not scope friendly. But for the range involved (50 yards or less) iron sights work great. I would NOT get a springer that did not have iron sights.

PCP guns are awesome. There is just more cost and 'infrastructure' involved in their use and ownership.

With a springer, it just sits there, waiting to be used. Cock it, insert pellet, shoot offending vermin, put gun back in corner. Easy. Simple. Trouble-free.

Sounds like you need a good bow and some judo points or blunts to make the arrows last longer! Longest kill on a rabbit is 83 yards personally. It's good practice for hunting bigger critters. I bought a crossman 17 cal a few years ago though to wage war on ground squirrels at my place. I've got over 50 of em under my belt with that air gun and they're pretty well gone these days. Killed a few out to 50 yards but I've missed more at that distance with it.

Good earlier posts RE: PCP pellet guns. Buying an expensive tank is imperative as using a hand pump building up to 200 BAR pressure is exhausting. Head shots are a must and my buddy aims between the eye and ear of rock chucks. My .22 FX 400 Royale killed 43 rock chucks on one outing @ 45 yds. The factory "lead dust collector," silencer is very effective as it does not scare off the critters.
well im a scuba diver already so I already own quite a few tanks I could fill from.

Sounds like you need a good bow and some judo points or blunts to make the arrows last longer! Longest kill on a rabbit is 83 yards personally. It's good practice for hunting bigger critters. I bought a crossman 17 cal a few years ago though to wage war on ground squirrels at my place. I've got over 50 of em under my belt with that air gun and they're pretty well gone these days. Killed a few out to 50 yards but I've missed more at that distance with it.
ive hunted them with cross bows and vertical bows but breaking 10+dollar arrows was not fun. We have very rocky ground.

suppressors are not allowed in NY
Pellet guns are not considered to be firearms by the Feds. Therefore, a "lead dust collector" probably does not fit the suppressor category. They are used in California which is very close to the laws/regulations of New York.

I realize that the suggestion for a suppressor was for a 10/22. However, a "suppressor" on a PCP pellet guns makes them extremely quiet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts