3rd powder option for 300 Win Mag - Advice please

Guinness

Greetings,

I am soon to begin reloading for the first time and would like any input regarding additional powder options for the 300 Win Mag cartridge. I have H1000 and IMR Enduron 7977 on hand at the moment. While I have read quite a bit and the Reloder powders sound interesting I live in the north and temperature stability is an important consideration to me (load work up in warmer weather and hunting in cold).

IMR 7828 and Retumbo are on my radar but I'd appreciate any thoughts from you all regarding which one or two additional powders I should consider for load development purposes.

Thank you.

G

I like the one 7828. But my favorite go to powder in 300 win mag is H 4831 and Imr 4320. I shot 165 grain bullets and live in West Virginia and like you work up loads in summer and shot and hunt when it's cold I haven't had a problem yet accuracy in the changing weather with these powders. Only time I seen a change was with my 257 wby useing Imr 7828 SSC.

Thanks for your reply Muskrat. I have heard of folks liking H4831 in the 300 WM.

FWIW, in the initial post I should have mentioned that I'll be shooting a custom rifle throated for heavy for caliber bullets (212 ELD-X and 215 Bergers) with a 26 inch barrel.

G

For 200 grain Partitions, H4831sc has been great.

For 180 grain Accubond, I've used RL22 with great results as well. Many folks have issues with RL22 and temperature stability. I haven't had that problem, so I can't comment on that.

H1000 and Retumbor are great. I shoot RE-22 but can't find it. I am going to try one of the other reloader powders when I run out of my last jug. It has been my experience the 300wm likes to pushed hard to shoot at its best. I shoot the 208 amax with re22 around the max book load out of a 26" barrel.

I use 7828 SSC for my 300 winmag and it works great . A friend of mine uses H4831sc in his 300 winmag and it also works great for him.

Greetings,

I am soon to begin reloading for the first time and would like any input regarding additional powder options for the 300 Win Mag cartridge. I have H1000 and IMR Enduron 7977 on hand at the moment. While I have read quite a bit and the Reloder powders sound interesting I live in the north and temperature stability is an important consideration to me (load work up in warmer weather and hunting in cold).

IMR 7828 and Retumbo are on my radar but I'd appreciate any thoughts from you all regarding which one or two additional powders I should consider for load development purposes.

Thank you.

G

Where are you in North Dakota???

I'm shooting rl22 in my rifle with 165 hornady pills. I'd shoot heavier pills in my 300win, but my 300rums like those... They either use a 180 with rl25 or a 225 with rl33...

I'm in the Bismarck area btw...

As far as non rl powders in the 300win, all you list work; I just like rl22 in my rifle better.

FYI, a friend wanted me to help him work up a long range load for his new 300 Win Mag. He had 200 gr ELD-X bullets and IMR 7977. It worked very nicely with no problems.

Good luck,
Steve

Thanks for the replies folks.

Lefty7mm - I'm in Fargo. FWIW, my rifle is being built by Nathan Dagley out of Center, ND.

Have a great Independence Day holiday!

G

H1000 with 215 Bergers. It doesn't get any better than that. I know every gun is different; but try that combo before you run out and spend money on other powders.

I don't personally own a 300 win mag. But i was loading some 210gr nosler long range accubonds for a friend, we had good results with RL26 and H4831SC.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.