Powder for 300 Win Mag

I am trying to find a temp insensitive powder for my new 300 win mag. I want to try the 225 ELD and the 215 Berger. 26" barrel.

I have tried to find H1000, Retumbo, RL26, N570, N565, and IMR 8133. No luck on any of these. Any other powders worth trying to find?
H-4831 is great in 300 and 338 win mags...

I have run into this so much in the last 20 years. Sold some great guns because i couldn't find the right components for it and got frustrated. NOW, when I get a new rifle I buy enough powder and brass to last the barrel. I now consider that part of the rifle purchase. I won't buy one in a cartridge I cannot also get the components I want to use at the same time. Been burned too many times. The 300WM is one of those that several powders work well in, but just like everything else it has a fav... and it is H1000.

I use to load my 300 Win with IMR7828 and always got good results. I since tried RL-26 and got outstanding results with accuracy and velocity with the 180 gr class bullets(3225 ft/sec 175 Barnes LRX 24" barrel). I know it is hard to find, but when you do get enough. It is worth it. Never tried it with the 215-225, but no reason it shouldn't do good.
I only used H4831 Then H4831SC then after re-barreling with 26" tube I ben getting great results with IMR7828scsc with 200gr Amax and a Nosler game bullet.

barreling

I use to load my 300 Win with IMR7828 and always got good results. I since tried RL-26 and got outstanding results with accuracy and velocity with the 180 gr class bullets(3225 ft/sec 175 Barnes LRX 24" barrel). I know it is hard to find, but when you do get enough. It is worth it. Never tried it with the 215-225, but no reason it shouldn't do good.
IMR 4831is my favorite...

with those heavy slugs.. has anyone thought of US869? that is what I was using in my 300 win mag with 220 M/K's and 240 M/Ks along with the 230 Bergers. I found it worked very well for the 210+ slugs with excellent consistency.

I've seen such good accuracy with H4831 using 150 -200 grain bullets in the .300 Winchester Magnum that I've not found a need to try other powders, even if they might give a little more velocity. Same for H4350 with bullets in the 150 -180 grain range.

I have run into this so much in the last 20 years. Sold some great guns because i couldn't find the right components for it and got frustrated. NOW, when I get a new rifle I buy enough powder and brass to last the barrel. I now consider that part of the rifle purchase. I won't buy one in a cartridge I cannot also get the components I want to use at the same time. Been burned too many times. The 300WM is one of those that several powders work well in, but just like everything else it has a fav... and it is H1000.
I honestly didn't think that I would have any issues finding H1000, but have now discovered that I was incorrect in my assumption.

I did ensure that I had plenty of primers and good brass before purchase, but I overlooked the powder.

Well if I ever see RL-26, I'll be sure to get it and try. I have been using IMR 4831 for my 300WM with no issues. But there are enough positive posts about RL-26, that it warrants me to give it a try.

My 300 wm sports a 26" barrel which may give a slight advantage with the heavier bullets over the 24" tubes. I have been testing IMR 7977 Enduron with great accuracy results.
Reloader 22 was my powder of choice but after trying the Enduron line I am sold. Ridiculous consistency. It shoots less than .75" groups with 230 gr Berger Hybrid Tactical at 70gr, 71gr, 72gr & 73gr Not the fastest powder but it is SUPER consistent! It pushes a 230 grain Berger around 2730 fps with 72 grains of 7977 Enduron. We have hit peaches at 820 yds :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.