300 Win mag load advice

montana_native

For a 26" barrel, 1-10 twist. Anyone have a good starting load for some of the heavier bullets? 180-210 gr? I've never even fired a 300 win so I am starting from scratch here. I'm not particular about a certain bullet, but Bergers and Sierras would probably be what I will end up using.

Thanks for any advice.

For a 26" barrel, 1-10 twist. Anyone have a good starting load for some of the heavier bullets? 180-210 gr? I've never even fired a 300 win so I am starting from scratch here. I'm not particular about a certain bullet, but Bergers and Sierras would probably be what I will end up using.

Thanks for any advice.

Definitely not a starting load, but mine likes 190g Bergers with 82g of H1000. Just flattens primers, no other pressure signs. Brass lasts about 5 loads with neck sizing only.

It's a Savage 112 with a 26" Stainless fluted heavy varmint barrel.

Last edited:
Nosler Accubond 200 gr is in a class by itself IMO. High ballistic coefficient and excellent downrange performance. RL22 is considered by many including myself to be the powder for the 300 win mag, 72.5 gr is the max load as listed in the Nosler manual and definitely Fed215M primers.

I've been messing around with Berger 210gr VLDs, 200gr SMK's, and Hornadys 208gr. A-Max. And the SMKs have been shooting lights out in my Remmy 700. I use 64.5 grs of IMR 4350 with CCI Large Rifle Mag primers and been neck sizing the last 3 times on the brass. Sierras manual says it should be running about 2800fps +/-. I don't have a chrony or I could tell you what they are running. I have been using the same grs of powder for each bullet type. So far I have gotten 4-5 firing on this brass and the primer pockets are still tight. The SMKs are shooting great out to 735 yards. Groups at 100 yards are less the 1/2 inch.

I am assuming that the 220 gr SMK, would be too much for this gun. Has anyone else documented velocity with the heavy stuff? I guess I am now kind of torn on which bullet to work with and what's going to be too heavy.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Worked up a load of 200gr MKs and GKs with 76.5 of RL25
win cases 215M shoots well out past 1400yds at Chytec training.

I've been messing around with Berger 210gr VLDs, 200gr SMK's, and Hornadys 208gr. A-Max.

I did some work with the Sierra 240 VLDs - the results were good, but they were hard on the brass. I am now using the Hornady 208gr A-Maxes and couldn't be happier. They are a tight shooting bullet and good for target or game. I haven't tried them with Reloader 22 yet, but the results with IMR 7828SSC are pretty good. They are chronographed around 2850 fps the couple times I've been able to get them checked.

200 gr Accubonds and H-1000 is the recipe my 300 WM likes. 2860 ft/sec with 75 gr. Any faster, groups start to open up. Norma brass and Fed 215

H1000 and a 180 SMK,easy on brass and fun to shoot its doing 3040 average
for sum reason this load works best in cooler weather
Dsc00026.jpg

im still doing sum work with 200 grain Accubonds pics to come later
here is the 180 accubond
Dsc00024.jpg

and ballistic tip
300targetbt.jpg

Mine will shoot 180 Noslers (Parts. or Accu) or 180 SGK's pretty tight behind 75.5 gr RL-22 and Fed 215M primers. It will shoot one hole groups with 200 Gr ( same afore mentioned boolits) with 70.5 gr RL-22. This load has shot sub 1" groups @ 300 for me, when I do what I am supposed to.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.