300 win mag load

Jktm

I have a Tikka 24" barrel 1-11 twist, vias break vortex HST 6x24x50 scope on 20 moa rail
The problem I am having is I can not find a load the shoots better than off the shelf Nosler 180AB sub moa at 100 and yester day was shooting at 500 yards and 3 shot group just under 2 inches witch is great, but I love to reload and would like to match off the shelf ammo
I have would like to think i can load better than the factory, I go as far as case sorting by weigh, sort bullets by weight all cases the same length primer pocket form and neck sized

Any thoughts ???

I have a Tikka 24" barrel 1-11 twist, vias break vortex HST 6x24x50 scope on 20 moa rail
The problem I am having is I can not find a load the shoots better than off the shelf Nosler 180AB sub moa at 100 and yester day was shooting at 500 yards and 3 shot group just under 2 inches witch is great, but I love to reload and would like to match off the shelf ammo
I have would like to think i can load better than the factory, I go as far as case sorting by weigh, sort bullets by weight all cases the same length primer pocket form and neck sized

Any thoughts ???

With all do respect a 300 WinMag with a 11 twist is not the best idea. I know that Sako (which is a great rifle company) still makes their 300 in a 11 twist but with the high BC, longer bullets that are out now I would shoot a faster twist. I had a Tikka T3 Lite in a 300 wm and it never shot anything heavier than 180 gr. worth a crap. So good luck to you.

I agree 1-11 twist is not the best just looking to match the results of the factor nosler 180AB

I assume you are using the 180 AB in your handloads as well? Are you seating the bullets to the same length as the factory ammo? Your rifle obviously likes the jump associated with the Nosler Ammo, so I would try and duplicate that bullet as much as possible.

yes the best i can not sure what powder they use I like to stay with hogdon due to it is not temp. sensitive

Have you speed checked the factory load in your gun, matching speed with your hand loads will help. I have found matching speed and OAL will get you "close".

Give us info on hand loads you HAVE tested, powder, weight charge, speed of hand load.

Brass? Method of sizing, neck or full length. Dies? Need info to help. Hand loads should easily match factory.

Also, JMO I think at 2 in. group at 500 yards is outstanding for a hunting rifle. So that type of accuracy will be hard to beat at least it would be for me. You may be a much better reloader than I am but I'm just saying - that is a great group size at that distance.

Good luck

My best load I had for my Tikka was 74 gr. 7828 ssc with a Nosler 200 gr. AB, Norma Brass, Fed 215. I can not remember my velocity but I did NOT have the accuracy you have with the 180s.

I agree I'm just want to load them instead of buying them they get hard to find at times

I suggest full length sizing your fired cases. New cases are full length sized. Few, if any, long range match winners and record setters shot good scores with neck sized cases when that 300 was popular in such events. Several such people used only new cases.

A 1:12 twist was also popular for 190 to 210 grain bullets. My three 30-338 barrels had it and shot those bullets about 70 fps slower than the 300 Win 2/3 MOA at a thousand. Your 1:11 twist is good for 220-gr. bullets, too. But only with new or full length sized cases.

Sierra tests all 30 caliber bullets 190 grains and heavier in full length sized cases using Redding bushing dies. I think a 1:11 twist is used. Match bullets have to shoot under 1" at 200 yards.

I suspect your barrel's groove diameter is oversize with the low velocity factory loads produce. I'm surprized it shot that good with factory ammo.

I suggest full length sizing your fired cases. New cases are full length sized. Few, if any, long range match winners and record setters shot good scores with neck sized cases when that 300 was popular in such events. Several such people used only new cases.

A 1:12 twist was also popular for 190 to 210 grain bullets. My three 30-338 barrels had it and shot those bullets about 70 fps slower than the 300 Win 2/3 MOA at a thousand. Your 1:11 twist is good for 220-gr. bullets, too. But only with new or full length sized cases.

Sierra tests all 30 caliber bullets 190 grains and heavier in full length sized cases using Redding bushing dies. I think a 1:11 twist is used. Match bullets have to shoot under 1" at 200 yards.

I suspect your barrel's groove diameter is oversize with the low velocity factory loads produce. I'm surprized it shot that good with factory ammo.

I have seen guys get good groups with 1-12 and 1-11 twists. It all depends on how far you shoot and the length of your bullet your shooting, since that is the primary factor determining twist. I sometimes shoot to 1800 yards and often to 1500 yards so that often puts me well in transonic (1339 fps) and even thru it. I would hate to push one of my 230s with a 1-12 or 1-11 twist at that range, especially at sea level. The faster twist will help better stabilize my bullets at that range.... but that is another topic all together... The only reason I brought up your twist is bc you may not have the same type of accuracy with heavier/longer bullets.

I agree that it is nice to be able to reload your own ammo- change it up.
Have you looked into H4831?

Good luck.

I use Redding dies, but neck sizer is rcbs I only use Nosler brass
Some of the better loads were 80g H1000 Ab180 WLRM primer 5 shot avg 2,920 3.340 coal
79.5 H1000 ABLR190 3.340 coal speed 2907 WLRM

70 g H4831SC ABLR 190 3.340 speed 2723 WLRM
70 g H4831SC ABLR 190 3.340 speed 2706 FED 215

77 g H1000 ABLR 210 3.340 speed 2764 WLRM

These were just a few that were about MOA

I find it interesting that I shouldn't neck size first time I have been told that lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.