Powder for 300 Win Mag

would have already done it great powder in a lot of cartridges if it don't work in the 300

I hear you and I'll strongly consider in light of how scarce the other powders are. BUT, I only need it for the .300. The other rifles I load for are good to go with what I already feed them. Sadly, I just don't have any experience with Alliant stuff.

I hear you and I'll strongly consider in light of how scarce the other powders are. BUT, I only need it for the .300. The other rifles I load for are good to go with what I already feed them. Sadly, I just don't have any experience with Alliant stuff.
wish I lived closer it would come home with me good luck with your new build

@Deputy819 If it was me the powder would no longer be on the shelf at the store. This is a real good powder in that (for me) it got me great velocity and accuracy. I can't tell you about 200 gr bullets as my success came with the 175 gr Barnes LRX. 3225 ft/sec from a 24" barrel is in the 300 Weatherby territory. No reason to believe it will not be as stellar with the heaver bullets. A plus is that it works in a fairly large range of cartridges.

Reloader 26 is a good powder but, it is not as temp stable as some say. I have quit using it for hunting because it gets hot here where I live, and it is not stable when temps get above 80 degrees F.. Locked the bolt up on one of my guns.
Just consider your hunting conditions and areas that you will hunt before you use R-26.. Good velocity and accuracy but not a powder you want to use when it's hot.. JMHO...

80 degrees! **** I would not head out the door in those temps! That's crazy! I usually wont even early season bowhunt unless its down to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The animals barely move up here when its warmer.

i know it's been said but I wouldn't over look Ramshot Magnum or IMR7977 both which are around and in similar burn rates to the high demand powders like 26, 1000, and Retumbo.

Any contact information? I have been trying to find H1000 for a while now as it shoots good in my 6.5-284 as well.
how close are you to a Cabelas or Bass Pro. I've gotten mine from them.

I use 74gr of H1000 and the ELDX 200 and get 1/2 " group at 100yds. Very consistent velocity (Lab Radar)

Velocity isn't the end all be all. I'd rather have constant velocity over higher velocity. Here temps go from 20 degrees to 90 by the afternoon in winter. Used to use Allian t but got pressure spikes as the temperature rises, that's why I switched to h 1000 then magnum. Magnum for the ease of metering as I load for ten 300 win mags for myself and clients.

how close are you to a Cabelas or Bass Pro. I've gotten mine from them.

I use 74gr of H1000 and the ELDX 200 and get 1/2 " group at 100yds. Very consistent velocity (Lab Radar)

Cabela's is about 3.5 hours away. They had none. Either did Scheels or Sportsman's. I was recently able to score 9 pounds of H1000 and 5 pounds of RL26. I'm all good to go now.

Velocity isn't the end all be all. I'd rather have constant velocity over higher velocity. Here temps go from 20 degrees to 90 by the afternoon in winter. Used to use Allian t but got pressure spikes as the temperature rises, that's why I switched to h 1000 then magnum. Magnum for the ease of metering as I load for ten 300 win mags for myself and clients.
I recently picked up 2 lbs of magnum as that was all that my lgs had on hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.