38 yards is long range in Wisconsin...

MY dad used to work for I think Alpine Archery. He went to alot of the shot shows back in the day along with being in the plant working. A friend still works there as something high up. cant remember what though. Archery can be very accurate. Dad could hit a 6in paper plate at one end of the football field to the other. Making it 120yrds. Yes I have confirmed with others at Alpine to see if it was bs. From what I've seen, bows are very accurate and very lethal. We do alot of bear hunting and with a heart shot they wont make but two or three lunges on some of them before they are dead.

Here is a pic of the buck I shot last year. Great fun and still a tremendous challenge. I recently started bow hunting and am happy with the extra seasons and areas that have become available as a bowhunter. So when I don't draw a good rifle hunting area I can still hunt my favorite spots with a bow.
Dave

100_1201.jpg

My brother and with his buck from last year. The toothy person is my son.
100_1200.jpg

My son with his first jack rabbit. He shot it at approximately 15yrds. This rogue Jack was preparing to charge us.(they do that you know)
He saved the whole hunting party. That's my boy!
100_1198.jpg

ethics?

I have been out west and alot of their shots are at 50+. We were sitting around camp and did some practice there was one guy 5'2" shooting a 80lb bow hitting a 4-6" target every time at 100yds 10+ shots in a row with light winds.We did alot of talking and he told me to tune my stuff perfect and make it up to the shooter.So I upgraded my equipment (hoyt supertec 80lb shooting 440 grains @ 290 fps) Its all about kinectic energy!So after working on my stuff all year I get to 100 @16" but 80 is a 8"circle and 50 feels easy like 3".Distance teaches you form everything has to be right its no differnt than telling someone that you shoot a critter at 1000yds with a rifle its unethical?Only if you don't do your homework! A bow is no differnt than a rifle you get what you put in it.Go to walmart and buy a $200 bow package and it will shoot 20 yds fine but if you want to strech it only the best will do($1000+)P.S. before anyone gives me [censored] figure out how much time and money you have in your rifle.

Re: ethics?

I agree on having the right tool for the right job. I have almost into my bow as my custom rifle. I purchased a new Mathews XT and immediately shipped it to Carters Archery in MO to have it customized (crackerized). This would be equal to having Kirby or Shawn accurize your rifle. I try to shoot a min of three hours a week at 80 yards as that improves my inside game. With that being said, I have taken many nice whitetails and would never shoot beyond 35 yards. When I'm in the groove I can shoot apple size groups at 50 yards with broadheads. My opinion, deer are too quick for the string at distance, unlike my TSX.

There are many great archers who have the skill to take animals at ranges beyond what I would consider. I wont call them unethical because these men do it for a living, such as Chuck Adams. Other than the animals I took, I'm glued to the outdoor channel and study deer on arrow release and they react quickly.

I am fortunate to have a job that entitles me to take off the whole month of November to chase deer. this gives me two solid weeks of archery and I'm happy to see there is now a forum to share archery chat.

I should mention this post pertains to archery for WT and not mulies or elk with larger vitals.

In our hunting group, we routinely practice out to over 100 yds. We head out to a farmers field that that has the large "round" bales out in his field. These are scattered randomly throughout. Next we walk up to a bale to within 30 to 150 yds. Everyone takes a guess at the yardage and keeps it to himself. We pick a spot on the bale and let fly. Then we lazer it with our rangefinders and let fly again. This has been an excellent tool for practise for us, and when you do take those shots at under 40 yds, they seem like a piece of cake. Judo ponts work well, and (metal) blunts are the best.

i took a buck this year at 61 yards aand it was a complete pass through. At our archery tourn. there are target all the way out to 100yards. you would be suprised how many people with practice can hit the 4" circle with 2 arrows. I am completely confident it shooting 80 yards at deer as i practice almost every day all the way to 100 yards. I am no were near the best at the tournements but its just like long range shooting it takes practice, and most bows today @ 70# have enough energy with the right broadheads to take deer down in one shot at 150 yrds ( im not good enough but i have seen it done several times by expert archers) one of the expert archers told me to hang up 9" pie plates and shoot at them untill you can put 6 arrows in them in a row, then move out and keep doing that until you get as far as you can keep 6 arrows in the plate. That is the max distance you can shoot at game. I can do it at 80 yds so i only shoot out to 80, but i can get 4 arrows at 100 so i will get there with more practice. So far ive never had to shoot past 61 yrds and before that it was 42yrds.

ethics is the one thing that we are in complete control of, i have bowhunted for almost fifty years and for myself no i would never try a 100yd shot at a live target,but i will not tell another what his ethical shot distance should be,i will say in my experience a lot of archers cannot consistently hit a paper plate at 50 yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Well, it appears this thread title got changed!

Ethics is a difficult topic, and one that should be closely followed by all hunters.

While some would have ethics be a static line, the truth is that line moves depending on some circumstances. In hunting, one of those circumstances is hunter skill.

For instance, I would not try to take a deer past 20 yards with a bow, or 250 yards with a rifle. Those are my ethical ranges.

But I have watched video of bowhunters drop deer at 3 times that range. The kills were quick and every bit as ethical as any 20 yard shot I might take.

I have watched video of Shawn Carlock dropping a deer or elk at 950 yards, the kill was quick and ethical by any standard I might employ.

In hunting, at least, the line moves!

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts