Long range archery

I'm not hunting at those ranges with archery gear, just practicing. :cool:

I am glad to here that, to many people try to make a bow into a rifle.

Are you using a slider sight, one that pivots the pin scope area so that you can raise the front of your bow? HHA made one years ago. It was a fad type thing that we western archers went through years ago. Unfortunately, some of us use it for hunting at "extended" ranges leaving a trail of wounded animals for the public to see. Not good PR for the hunting cause.

If you can find a place that will allow you the set up an "archer- golf- course" , traffic cones at longgggg ranges. Thats a kick, and will help you develop your long range archery skills.

Good luck ,
PM:)

I have a fairly large yard where shot 140 yards in the back and 150 in the front. I have two large 30" bags stacked on top of each other so lost or damaged arrows are kept to a minimum. Most of my practice is from 80-138 yards while standing.

I've shot out to 100yds just to see how consistent I can be. I shoot a one pin slider so anything outside 90yds I hit low.

I have an 8ft tall piece of styrofoam I shoot at. I place the aiming point high and see how the arrows group even though they are a foot low. I wouldn't shoot at a whitetail above 40- maybe 50 yds. 40 is my farthest kill so far.

Have you ever been to Redding, CA. for the Western Trail Classic Tournament? Great shoot, lots of good archers, plus you get to shoot Big Foot at 103 yards.

Try to make it some time quite the "gathering".

PM

If you want to shoot 200 use a front and rear site without a peep sight.
Another option is two NO PEEPS(old timberline product other similar out now). Set 1 no peep normal and the other for LR.
Combining the two is even better. A no peep + a rear sight will surprise you at these ranges with good form/release and equipment. I wouldnt want anyone shooting at me at 200.
I currently shoot an athens exceed 70 lb and an exceed with affliction cams around 94lbs.
I shoot a homemade 2 7/8 scope and a small peep 4" back for the rear.
Varios releases all brands carters, stans,tru ball.
Shoot accs weighed to the grain and regularly checked for all specs.
200 yds you have to quintuple check everything while maintaining the ZEN needed to truly shoot a bow properly.
It is all a mind game though......if you can win it you can keep them in 18-20" at that range.

I love shooting archery and practicing at long range. I have a few state games titles in open target class and even one in 3D, qualified for 3D nationals, world and national state games, and finished 4th in the open division in a 8 state region during indoor nationals. I have been a sponsored shooter at the national level and am a certified hunter safety instructor as well as a certified archery coach. I have numerous bow kills inside 10 yards with the closest being a face to face on the ground with a nice buck at 3 yards.

I just can't bring myself to take a shot at the distances talked about here. I have seen a relaxed deer jump a string inside 15 yards. I know bows are faster and quieter today, I have been given bows for tournaments that were in the 360fps and up class. Even with that speed a error of 1-2 yard judgement in distance will place a arrow outside the kill zone at 100 yards. I know most people used laser rangefinders now, but in the second or more the arrow is in flight that deer can take one step and you now have a gut shot. If I want to long range hunt I pick up a weapon that is designed for it, a bow even a compound or crossbow is a short distance hunting weapon and should be used accordingly. For practice long range shooting will improve hunting distance acceracy but I see a lot of archers that get a false sense and wound animals hunting at long ranges. That my friends is the type of ammo that organizations like PITA wants to grab ahold of to limit or remove hunting rights.

Sox35,I looked back through this entire thread twice and only saw where one guy said he shot 80 yards and another shot 40 at game. Exactly who are you talking about shooting game at long range and perhaps you can tell us how far the maximum shot on game should be??

Broken Arrow, If you would read the poll thread referring to longest archery kill on big game you have 11 pages to sift through. If you want to know what I think, I think the goal is to get as close to the animal as possible to make a humane harvest. The old saying, a rifle hunter brags about how far they shot an animal a archer brags about how close. Nebraska just voted and passed to make hunting a constitutional right, the amount of money that was spent from the anti side was amazing. Worst part was the amount of money we had to spend to defend our right to Hunt. Many of the arguments from the anti had to do with wounded animals from unethical shots. If a anti hunting group was to read this thread only one thing would come of it and they would be very vocal about it. The great thing about our country is you have the right to make your own choices and someone also has the right to try to remove those rights.

I have a personal limit of 80 for a 1st shot. 2nd shot? As far as I can see. I developed the sight system to do it as I guided a lot of hunters and wanted as much range as possible for a finishing shaft. Out on the plains sometimes an 80 yd bedded shot is better than a 40 yd jumpy shot. When the only cover is 2" buffalo grass sometimes your better off with a slightly longer shot. Deer usually dont jump string past 40. In fact I have never had it happen. That being said I dont think a lot of guys should be shooting AT ALL much less at any arbitrary range number like 20,40,60. I lived in old mexico 5 yrs and shot 2-3 hrs a day. My rig runs a 32 stab and back bars along with a 6x scope. Problem isnt whatever range guys shoot at its that its OUTSIDE thier comfort zone. That and they just cant hunt. Dont know when they can draw,move etc. And they end up guttin one cuz they arent paying attention to the animal and release right as hes likely to move.

I didn't read that farthest shot thread other than the OP. My thread was designed to discuss extreme long range target practice. To each his own regarding ethical shots on game animals. I have a hard enough time making my own decisions let alone trying to control others.

Guys , guys, please.
Broken arrow was just having fun sling arrows at distant targets and that is fun. The flight of an arrow 200 yards out is a great lesson in trajectory. I find the flight of the arrow really a super cool thing because we can see it although as an instructor I teach not to look at the arrow but only the target until impact.

We have all found our on effect range 5 out of 5 in a 8 inch target with broadheads on the hunting shaft. We all strive to be ethical hunters and limit our game shots to our own abilities. The idea of "lets put an arrow in him then track it down" is on the wane I hope. So this discussion of long range archery is just that about long range archery, not long range bowhunting.

Each of us have to live with the memories of our hunts and the thought of wasting a trophy buck because of a poorly placed shot due to distance taken is not the type of memories any of us want. And believe the memory will haunt you. Been there, done that.

Flinging arrows at a non- game target at extended ranges, go for it.

PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.