375 Ruger Longest Range Load

I missed it if someone was talking about a 200 gr accubond in a 308 Winchester. Muzzle velocity and estimated impact velocity seems more constructive than headstamps either way.
The initial post was talking about a 300 wsm pushing them at 2950 and it not giving good expansion at near 700 yards.

Right on, it was my post. Just thinking no one was advocating for 200 ab in 308 Winchester. Nor did I say the AB wasn't a great bullet. I like it, just not below 2000 fps.

I own 375 H&H rifles and have shot Whitetails using my all-around load of the Sierra 300-grain SBT over 77.7 grains of IMR4350 (good for Crows, snakes, and other varmints and suchlike, too).
Seriously, I don't think they expand at all even at close range and light game. After all, Sierra says they are good for Cape Buffalo so, I would think they are pretty tough.
Even were that projectile only going at 1500 fps, it would still create an impact and wound channel similar to that of a 50-caliber muzzleloader at 100 yards.
If a projectile starts off at 3/8-inch and doesn't expand at all, it's still as effective as a 357 magnum at 25 yards...minimum. I would use what is most accurate first. A heavy 375 retains velocity and lethality very well.

Except that with "no expansion" a pointed bullet merely makes a puncture would similar to that of stepping on a nail……albeit a large nail!

You will get minimum permanent wound channel with minimal bleeding even with an exit wound. Death may not be fast, tracking/recovery may be difficult in some terrains! Just my thoughts!

For close range use……a wide metplat cast bullet (260 + grains) may serve the hunter quite well! memtb

I can tell you all emphatically that the difference between 260g Accubond started at 2750fps (375 H&H) and 3000fps (375 Bee) is vastly different on game, the extra fps is devastating on animals hit, especially within the CNS, BANGFLOP is almost guaranteed.
I won't be giving up my Kimber Talkeetna in 375 H&H anytime soon, it just works, as does my custom Model 70 in 375 Bee with extra authority, stepping up to 5,000lbs/ft is nothing to sneeze at.

Cheers.

I can tell you all emphatically that the difference between 260g Accubond started at 2750fps (375 H&H) and 3000fps (375 Bee) is vastly different on game, the extra fps is devastating on animals hit, especially within the CNS, BANGFLOP is almost guaranteed.
I won't be giving up my Kimber Talkeetna in 375 H&H anytime soon, it just works, as does my custom Model 70 in 375 Bee with extra authority, stepping up to 5,000lbs/ft is nothing to sneeze at.

Cheers.

I found the same thing between between my "retired" H&H and my AI! While there are certainly "no flies" on an H&H……improving it (AI or Weatherby) steps it up into another "weight class"!

And the absolutely beautiful thing is……it can be done so inexpensively! The transformation is very simple for a quality gunsmith!

Not only does improving the H&H it seem to give a bit more authority with hits on game, it flattens the trajectory and reduces wind drift…..making it a much better long (er) range performer!

I'll never regret the day that I had my AI built. The finished package is lighter, more weather resistant, and is a somewhat better "do it all" cartridge than my old H&H!

About your Talkeetna, I've said numerous times…….if I didn't already have my AI, I'd get a Talkeetna, run a reamer in it making it an AI and perhaps have the ultimate big game (hell all game) rifles/cartridges!
memtb

I've read about guys building .375 Ruger for long range with 350 grain MatchKings and such. From memory I believe they were getting performance (external) similar to a .308 shooting heavy-high BC bullets like the 215 Berger. It's slow but the BC really aids in extended range wind deflection and retained velocity. There are lots of high BC .375 bullets, but only a few that would stabilize in what I'm assuming is a factory barrel with the 1-12" twist I read is standard. The 325 grain Cutting Edge Lazer comes to mind, has a G1 BC well over .7 and will stabilize in a 12" twist. Plus it is advertised as expanding down to 1200 fps. Then there are the lighter Badlands Bulldozer 2, they don't have as high a BC and I believe they advertise expansion down to 1900 fps.

Edit: my point is that there are options, depends on where you want to compromise, as I see you having to do so somewhere to get more performance in what you have.
Not sure why my text didn't come through, to your point, have a .375 Ruger with a 26" barrel with a big brake on it, overall barrel length about 29" with brake and Indian creek blast diverter over the brake has a CIP length action, have not had the throat job done yet, not sue that I will need it yet. Loads are a Cutting edge 320 grain MTH for it. Got some load info from cutting edge, cartridge length about 3.639 inches. Trying H4350, Ramshot Hunter, Ramshot BigGame. Was supposed to be at the range today, but life happens.

Last edited:
Yup...everyone can use 35 cal and bigger bottleneck and straight wall cartridges during both deer seasons. We are seeing a huge move to the 35 whelen here in iowa. I've built 4 of them ...1 mossberg and 3 savages rebarreled to the whelen. After slugging it for 40 years the rifles sure are fun. With my land owner and regular state wide tags i shot 4 deer with the whelen last year. Impressive to say the least. Just got to keep the pile of slugs i have for something in the future i guess. I did shoot a 5 x 5 elk one year with a slug one year. That was fun. We're glad for the rifle regs here in iowa....but its kinda dumb we can't use smaller cartridges...agreed
I would imagine that you will start seeing a demand for the .358 Winchester also.

If all hunters were safe and ethical, I would agree, however, that's not the case. Something stupid that shouldn't ever happen, has happened every year since I started hunting 50 years ago. And just one or two accidents of stupidity are gonna ruin it for all the safe hunters. That's just the way it is.
I hate to sound like a jerk, but let the chips fall where they may. At this point I'm all for taking the warning labels off of everything and letting mother nature sort this all out. Far to many idiots are making it to breeding age these days. Northern Missouri is just like Southern Iowa and somehow we in the 'Show Me' manage to use all the bottle necked cartridges of various different calibers and don't seem to get anymore people killed than anybody else seems to. Everything will turn out just fine in Iowa too.

I hate to sound like a jerk, but let the chips fall where they may. At this point I'm all for taking the warning labels off of everything and letting mother nature sort this all out. Far to many idiots are making it to breeding age these days. Northern Missouri is just like Southern Iowa and somehow we in the 'Show Me' manage to use all the bottle necked cartridges of various different calibers and don't seem to get anymore people killed than anybody else seems to. Everything will turn out just fine in Iowa too.
As far as southern iowa goes, you are correct. Problem is that all of Iowa isn't like southern iowa. In central iowa, where I am, there's a lot less timber, a lot fewer hills, and way less public hunting, which in and of itself brings out trespassers, conflicts, and people not knowing other people are in the area. You are correct though in your statement that far too many idiots are reaching breeding age, as sad as that is. This year will be the first year in decades that I've hunted a regular gun season. I've always hunted late muzzleloader season, so we'll see how crazy it is. Could be I'll go back to late muzzleloader. Just have to wait and see.