375 Ruger Longest Range Load

tm7554

Looking for some advice on the longest range load for this particular caliber. Specific to whitetails. I know it's an odd caliber but some new legislation has made this legal where I am hunting (.35 caliber and above). I've had this gun for sometime and the current load I have is reloader 17 and nosler's 260 accubond. Also have some older 260 nosler ballistic tips. Both shoot well and average 2825 fps.

I've looked at the 4Dof charts to get an idea of velocity down range. I don't have any experience with the references projectiles to decern their ability to open down around 2000 fps.

Is there a better long range projectile for extending my range whitetail hunting? Do any of you have experience with these Nosler bullets past 300 yards?

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ran some numbers, and no matter which bullet you choose, I think you'll run out of expansion speed (~2000 fps) around 450 yards give or take 25.

That said, if you use either Nosler offering you mention, and you get some marginal expansion, say 1.1X diameter at 2000 fps, that still gives you a 40 caliber hole and 2000 ftlbs of energy at 450 yards. For comparison, a 6.5 creed with perfect 1.5X expansion is a 40 cal hole and 1500 ftlbs at that range, and nobody would doubt that as a deer slayer.

Now don't get me wrong, 375 Ruger ain't no 6.5 Creedmoor, so you'll wanna ensure good shot placement and stay off those heavy bones, but I think it'll be just barely enough for whitetail... ;)

Ran some numbers, and no matter which bullet you choose, I think you'll run out of expansion speed (~2000 fps) around 450 yards give or take 25.

That said, if you use either Nosler offering you mention, and you get some marginal expansion, say 1.1X diameter at 2000 fps, that still gives you a 40 caliber hole and 2000 ftlbs of energy at 450 yards. For comparison, a 6.5 creed with perfect 1.5X expansion is a 40 cal hole and 1500 ftlbs at that range, and nobody would doubt that as a deer slayer.

Now don't get me wrong, 375 Ruger ain't no 6.5 Creedmoor, so you'll wanna ensure good shot placement and stay off those heavy bones, but I think it'll be just barely enough for whitetail... ;)
Thanks for the input. I was kinda thinking the same thing. Lighter bullet faster out of the barrel but decelerates fast. Almost likely boils down to who has first hand experience with the projectile to determine odds it will open at a given speed.

So you could hunt with a 375 cheytac but not at 308? You sure you're reading that law correctly?

I don't think it matters much what bullet you chose, 375 ruger is so overkill for a deer.
They sometimes will state, 35 caliber or larger, with a straight wall case. 375 Winchester,Big Bore 94, in that cartridge,, would possibly be legal. Some states add single shot rifles only, to the rules. They can trust em with 1 in the chamber but, follow up shots in the magazine, no can do. Ya can tell some guy, never been in the woods, on a deer hunt, is writing a rule like that.

Last edited:
Yep follow that's true.
I googled it. The morons in the Iowa government passed a law allowing any rifle cartridge over .35. How dumb is that. I think I'd be building a 416 Barret for that 4 mile deer.

I mean hunt with what you want, but not allowing a 243 but allowing a 50BMG. They're idiots.

Maybe they had a program the year before where they put body armor on every deer in the state and this is just the natural consequences of that law.

Well suggest reading the Iowa regs since it is straight wall and bottlenecks over .35 caliber. See page 38. So even 35 Whelen is good to go.

IMG_1025.jpeg

Hammer has got a 248gr and a 281gr HH (IIRC) that both have a pointy profile which would improve LR performance. They may fully expand at 1,800 fps, not sure. Check with Steve from Hammer Bullets.
The 248 provides a good combination of velocity, and terminal performance.

Back in the day we shot antelope with the 270 Hornady past 300 with pretty impressive terminal results.

Speer makes a 270 as well never used it.

For deer, either of those should get you as far as you can go with that cartridge.