375 h&h factory gun - Remington, Winchester, Kimber

cb4128

I'm looking into getting a factory 375 h&h rifle with express sights. Not wanting to spend a fortune and I'm not going dangerous game hunting right now - so doesn't have to be a controlled round feed action.

Does anyone have input on the best accuracy potential between the following factory rifles?

- Remington 700 Classic
- Kimber Talkeetna
- Winchester model 70 super express (recent manufacture)

It will be a moderate range elk and Nilgai rifle.

Thanks for the input!

If you're going to hunt elk with it I'd want the Talkeetna myself. The Safari Express is a pretty stout rifle in weight.

I've got an old P64 300 that was rebored to 1-10 twist 375 Improved that I've carried a bit elk hunting. Haven't gotten lucky enough to take a bull with it yet though.

good luck in your search.

I have two 375 h&h and absolutely enjoy them! One is a Rem 700 stock and one is a whitworth with a 20in barrel. Both are easy to shoot and very easy to load for.

In today's rifles.......the Kimber. The general quality, it's SS, and it's pretty lightweight.

Run a chamber reamer (AI or Weatherby) in it and you have a nice lightweight, all weather rifle capable of taking the largest game at close ranges and will cover you to fairly long range. It should easily be good for 800 yards! memtb

I have the Talkeetna and love it. The sights are from NECG and are excellent. Very nice trigger as well. I'm quite happy with it and it is a real hoot to shoot if you can find some trailboss, I run a reduced load with that powder just for plinking and it is crazy how accurate it is.

Kimber first, Winchester second.
I have both, but my Win Model 70 is a Classic Stainless that I re-chambered to 375 Weatherby. My Talkeetna is a heirloom, bought it for 1 hunt and ended up taking my animal with my 416 Rigby...oh well.
Love them both, but I always found the H&H round stretches too much and doesn't get good case life.
I really like Nosler 260g Accubonds for deer/Elk/PG.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm looking into getting a factory 375 h&h rifle with express sights. Not wanting to spend a fortune and I'm not going dangerous game hunting right now - so doesn't have to be a controlled round feed action.

Does anyone have input on the best accuracy potential between the following factory rifles?

- Remington 700 Classic
- Kimber Talkeetna

Thanks for the input!

Of those 3, for me I'd grab the 700 and wrap a different handle around it

I have had ONE DG Rem 700, it was the Safari model in 416RM. A change of stock was required to make it comfortable to shoot. I mean, my 375 Bee has 90ft/lbs of recoil and that 416 Safari stock was AWFUL, it made the 375 Bee feel like a 30-06 in comparison.
Kimbers have some of the best recoiling FACTORY rifles I have ever encountered. A lot of thought has gone into their stock design, and it works very very well.

Cheers.

Went CZ550 in 458 lott myself, no intention of hunting Africa. Sticking with shallow V rear and big white dot up front for now, have a big green dot front too that I may sight in as well since I have extra rear sights.

Just wanted to say they are fun, I put a bell and carlson stock on it, added the Limbsaver Nitro recoil pad, bell and carlson added a mercury recoil reducer and it's only like $55 more, and then I ground out part of the inside forearm of the stock and bedded lead in there with devcon aluminum.

Barreled action is cerakoted, muzzle brake was added as well, only 10 1/2lbs, was actually hoping for 12, but this worked out fine.

So it's an all-weather gun now, not nearly as classic looking, but functional as all get out and she's fun.

Federal 500gr trophy bonded bearclaws are what I am using. But if a guy reloaded you could likely load some 300gr triple shocks to about 3,000fps or so if you wanted.

Not to steer you away from an insanely popular caliber that's sufficient for most everything on the planet...

Good luck, have fun with it, these big bores are good fun to shoot.

Hoping to turn mine into a 505 Gibbs some day, 570gr A frame at about 2500 fps would be neat.

- Remington 700 Classic
- Kimber Talkeetna

Thanks for the input!
For me I'd rank them as follows in order of choice:

1- Kimber Talkeetna - controlled feed feels very good at the shoulder
2- Winchester model 70 super express (recent manufacture) - classic design controlled feed
3- Remington 700 Classic - maybe it would be even with the M70 with an M16 mod to the extractor

Just one person's opinion.

I have shoulder and snapped all of them at various shows and the Talkeetna felt the best to me. I have fired the Talkeetna as well and it really felt great. If I could have bought one in 375 Ruger I would have snapped one up years ago. Instead, I have a semi custom 375 Ruger.

If you have the money, get the Kimber. The Classic is very light, but still easy to shoot. Get it pillar bedded and have a Trigger Tech Primary trigger installed. Keep scope in 2x7-3x9 range. Stick with 250-270 Monos and enjoy yourself! The Mod 70 Express I had handled like a truck axle in the field. You won't need CRF on a Nilgai hunt unless you shoot upside down (grin) Have a ball Pard!